Squad Status 08/09

Anything yellow and blue
Geoff
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Geoff »

Lee Jarman must rank up there somewhere. He has to have been one of our slowest ever players!
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Post by A-Ro »

Luke Bennett and Alex Fisher have gone on loan to Banbury United and Bognor Regis respectively.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Jarman and McGuckin as the centre back pairing. Turning circles so large they kept bumping into each other (or something)...
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Isaac »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Very, very harsh, young Daniel. That would imply that Rose was worse than, say, Courtney Pitt or Liam Halstead or any number of other totally ineffectual midfielders who have graced the wing for Oxford (Jon Purdie, anyone?). The fact is that Rose clearly had some ability - maybe not with dead balls, or physical strength, or in the air, but with the ball at his feet he could often pick out a decent pass. Sure, he wasn't as good as a lot of people make out, and he clearly had many faults that you possibly wouldn't expect from a former Manchester United reserves captain, but to bracket him with Dave Collins is, well, bollocks, frankly.
I reckon the reason Rose got the reserve team captaincy at Man U is was because he was the oldest regular player - anyone else decent his age would be out on loan at a league club, then there'd be the youngsters and the recovering first teamers. Either way he was poor, as Boris says, he could pick a pass but then so could Trevor Hebberd if we picked him now. Rose was only really even reasonably good if he had a couple of other midfielders looking after him (like at Southport where he scored for instance).

Anyway, not the worst player ever at Oxford obviously. Who was that bloke who came on sub once, back when Shotton was manager, he ran around, fell over and never appeared again? Michael something I think, used to play for Burnley. It's a bit unfair to pick players who only played once or twice though so of the &quotregulars&quot Sean Reck always wins it for me though, although I bet he'd be a shining late in any of the last 10 years and it's probably just my memory making him worse. Or Jarman/McGuckin. Although Jarman could &quotpick a pass&quot too.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:[ It's a bit unfair to pick players who only played once or twice though so of the &quotregulars&quot Sean Reck always wins it for me though, although I bet he'd be a shining late in any of the last 10 years and it's probably just my memory making him worse. Or Jarman/McGuckin. Although Jarman could &quotpick a pass&quot too.
Three awful players.
Two Sean Reck incidents stick in my memory.
1. Sean showing no awareness of what was going on around him in day dreaming mode looking the other way when a Steve Hardwick clearance half the length of the pitch whacks him on the back of the neck. Hilarious.

2. Sean at Anfield (yes Anfield) running with the ball &amp to be fair he did run a long way with it. He never looked up once. (Something to do with lack of awareness again) The Liverpool players were bemused by this and made little noticeable effort to stop him . His run did stop though when he ran smack bang into a static man in red. Hilarious.

&amp there might be a third one although to be fair it could have been someone else although I've got a sneaking feeling it was Sean.

3. A hopeful centre from the opposition into our penalty area. No forward within 20 yards of the ball. For some reason Sean was back helping out the defence. He was facing the ball but instead of just nodding it away turned and sent a bullet of a header against the cross bar.

But yes I bet he would have been a shining something in the last 10 years and he did get to play in the top flight.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Mark Druce
The Enforcer
Brat

Re:

Post by The Enforcer »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote: Who was that bloke who came on sub once, back when Shotton was manager, he ran around, fell over and never appeared again? Michael something I think, used to play for Burnley.
Williams.

Last season I'd have rather had Rose in the team than Hutchinson.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:3. A hopeful centre from the opposition into our penalty area. No forward within 20 yards of the ball. For some reason Sean was back helping out the defence. He was facing the ball but instead of just nodding it away turned and sent a bullet of a header against the cross bar.
Haha, I remember that well. It was at the Cuckoo Lane end against (I think) Blackburn. Almost solely because of that incident I thought for ages he was the worst player I'd seen wearing the yellow shirt.

But now I'd give that award to almost anyone who has played for us in the last ten years.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

&gt&gtHaha, I remember that well. It was at the Cuckoo Lane end against (I think) Blackburn. Almost solely because of that incident I thought for ages he was the worst player I'd seen wearing the yellow shirt.

Yes Blackburn, I remember it. It fell straight to Simon Garner who stuck it in the net ...
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Mark Druce? I've mentioned that when he scored twice in the first twenty minutes at Twerton Park, I had actually forgotten my glasses and therefore genuinely couldn't believe my own eyes?

(Of course my faith in my eyesight was restored when I saw Rovers score three times in the last twenty minutes to win it.)
entirely disenchanted
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Didn't Druce also hit the crossbar when it was 2-0, thus not only missing out on an unlikely hat-trick, but also preventing Oxford from going on to win the game?
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Peter Fear was quite pants as well.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Didn't Druce also hit the crossbar when it was 2-0, thus not only missing out on an unlikely hat-trick, but also preventing Oxford from going on to win the game?
He might well have, but in the circumstances I'm not the man to ask.
entirely disenchanted
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

Yep - he hit the crossbar.

It was Marcus Stewart who got the winner for Rovers after we had all berated him for 89 minutes.