Staffwards

Anything yellow and blue
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Staffwards

Post by Isaac »

I went along today, my first game since the christmas games. There were 6 players I hadn't seen under Patterson (Hand, Howard, Murray, Green, McAllister and Richards) but it's difficult to judge whether Patterson has improved the team because Stafford were so poor. First half was relatively even although we had the better chances, second half we should have scored about 4. Makes a pleasant change to miss chances rather than fail to create them admittedly. And not to be grimly hanging on last 5 minutes.

Green is a very good player, is there any chance we can keep him next year? The other two strikers were ok but I'm not convinced they're good enough for a team trying to win the league. Murray was excellent and Hand actually better than I'd been lead to believe from reading on here. However fast eddie was the stand out player - fast, used the ball well and worked hard. Suited right wing as well.

My concerns are still that we don't have a left winger (Trainer tries hard but isn't the answer there so I dread to think what Blackwood is like) and defensively we still look vulnerable at set pieces. Matt Day shouldn't be right back either, he has one skill on the ball and that's kicking it really hard. Full backs see quite a lot of the ball so need to be able to pass a bit.

Watching Oxford away is always a slightly depressing experience, especially when there aren't that many supporters as the more hardcore (by definition, slightly odd) element stand out. There's the one big fella who I think is a steward at the Kassam who takes it on himself to make sure he always gets a good few complaints in to the stewards whenever they pass (today's included smoking and whether you could do it or not, not being allowed to sit without paying an extra £2, the stewards name, who his supervisor was, whether he could hang a flag somewhere the list goes on).

However the most ridiculous was a stafford player (admittdly it was an ill advised thing to do) giving the wanker sign to a few fans after they abused him for having the temerity to bleed after being hit in the face accidentally by Green, the big fella wanted to make an &quotofficial complaint&quot to the stewards about it. Why? I never understand why fans think that they can abuse players as much as they like but any response should be punished. Anyway, I suppose for my own sanity I shouldn't attempt to make sense of football supporters morality during the heat of a game....
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

&quotLeaders Aldershot didn't play today&quot according to Rage Online article. Actually they did, drawing against Ebbsfleet to go out in the trophy semis. Goes to show though that you can take the trophy seriously (not saying we didn't, but some supporters here seemed to think we shouldn't for fear of wrecking our league &quotcampaign&quot) and not suffer in the league. Aldershot managed to reach the trophy semis and are not doing too badly in the league. They are also in the Setanta Shield semis. Torquay are both in the playoff zone and in the trophy final. Hmm....
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: Staffwards

Post by Baboo »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I went along today, my first game since the christmas games. There were 6 players I hadn't seen under Patterson (Hand, Howard, Murray, Green, McAllister and Richards) but it's difficult to judge whether Patterson has improved the team because Stafford were so poor. First half was relatively even although we had the better chances, second half we should have scored about 4. Makes a pleasant change to miss chances rather than fail to create them admittedly. And not to be grimly hanging on last 5 minutes.

Green is a very good player, is there any chance we can keep him next year? The other two strikers were ok but I'm not convinced they're good enough for a team trying to win the league. Murray was excellent and Hand actually better than I'd been lead to believe from reading on here. However fast eddie was the stand out player - fast, used the ball well and worked hard. Suited right wing as well.

My concerns are still that we don't have a left winger (Trainer tries hard but isn't the answer there so I dread to think what Blackwood is like) and defensively we still look vulnerable at set pieces. Matt Day shouldn't be right back either, he has one skill on the ball and that's kicking it really hard. Full backs see quite a lot of the ball so need to be able to pass a bit.

Watching Oxford away is always a slightly depressing experience, especially when there aren't that many supporters as the more hardcore (by definition, slightly odd) element stand out. There's the one big fella who I think is a steward at the Kassam who takes it on himself to make sure he always gets a good few complaints in to the stewards whenever they pass (today's included smoking and whether you could do it or not, not being allowed to sit without paying an extra £2, the stewards name, who his supervisor was, whether he could hang a flag somewhere the list goes on).

However the most ridiculous was a stafford player (admittdly it was an ill advised thing to do) giving the wanker sign to a few fans after they abused him for having the temerity to bleed after being hit in the face accidentally by Green, the big fella wanted to make an &quotofficial complaint&quot to the stewards about it. Why? I never understand why fans think that they can abuse players as much as they like but any response should be punished. Anyway, I suppose for my own sanity I shouldn't attempt to make sense of football supporters morality during the heat of a game....
Apparently Green said on the radio that he is enjoying his time at Oxford but if a league club comes in he is off. Playing like that one will come in. I really wonder how we can build for next season when Patto can't have much of an idea who will be around. Any good loanee will be off elsewhere.

Hand had his best game for us by miles.

Agree with you about fans thinking they can abuse players and not expect players to react in any way. At the time I really thought the guy was play acting until I saw the blood. I didn't see how it happened just two players jumping for the ball.
Yorkie
Toddler

Post by Yorkie »

Not only Aldershot ...
&quotTorquay United were without a game&quot [Rage Online match report]
No, they weren't. They went down 1-0 at York in the other semi, but got to Wembley 2-1 on aggregate. There were at least three ex-Us playing for the Gulls - Hargreaves, Sills, Zebroski. I wasn't there, but heard bits of the local radio commentary.
Why haven't these games been given as much prominence in the media as run-of-the-mill BSP games? - no mention even in minute type in the fixture lists.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
Apparently Green said on the radio that he is enjoying his time at Oxford but if a league club comes in he is off. Playing like that one will come in. I really wonder how we can build for next season when Patto can't have much of an idea who will be around. Any good loanee will be off elsewhere.

Hand had his best game for us by miles.

Agree with you about fans thinking they can abuse players and not expect players to react in any way. At the time I really thought the guy was play acting until I saw the blood. I didn't see how it happened just two players jumping for the ball.
It was quite close to where I was standing, I think the player was caught in the face by Green's hand (not by the elbow as the Stafford players were suggesting), but it was accidental. Green would be good enough for League 1 I suspect, let's hope he stays underneath the radar. Maybe Patterson should start playing him left wing.

I agree with Jimski too, the good sides tend to do well in all competitions - a good cup run in the trophy, or the shield could kickstart a decent season. Who knows.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I went along today, my first game since the christmas games. There were 6 players I hadn't seen under Patterson (Hand, Howard, Murray, Green, McAllister and Richards) but it's difficult to judge whether Patterson has improved the team because Stafford were so poor. First half was relatively even although we had the better chances, second half we should have scored about 4. Makes a pleasant change to miss chances rather than fail to create them admittedly. And not to be grimly hanging on last 5 minutes.

Is that the big chap with black hair?

If so, he's always moaning.

Interesting that he was complaining about having to spend £2 more to sit down, at Stafford he was complaining about not being allowed to stand.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, he's a loud mouthed ignorant arsehole who should never have been allowed a stewards vest in the first place. I suspect he complains all the time because being a steward at OUFC, he &quotknows the rules&quot and the power has gone to his (somewhat empty) head.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

Hmmmn........

Torquay United vs Ebbsfleet United at Wembley Stadium.

I might go to that just to see the new place.

Chris Hargreaves gracing the hallowed Wembley turf - what a prospect.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I must have been stood near the complainer at the time. the steward told me off for taking pictures / video clips with a digital camera.

I'm sure there are regulations protecting the official media, but apart from (very occasionally these days) posting up a shaky youtube video of a goal, I don't think I am much of a threat to Setanta or whoever shows the goals on tv.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

Interesting that he was complaining about having to spend £2 more to sit down, at Stafford he was complaining about not being allowed to stand.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, he's a loud mouthed ignorant arsehole who should never have been allowed a stewards vest in the first place. I suspect he complains all the time because being a steward at OUFC, he &quotknows the rules&quot and the power has gone to his (somewhat empty) head.
He speaks very highly of you too Terry. So personal abuse is allowed these days is it? It never used to be on Memorox.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:

He speaks very highly of you too Terry. So personal abuse is allowed these days is it? It never used to be on Memorox.
And?

With MemorOx more than 2 years dead, and the comments not being directed towards ayone on here, I have no idea what valid point you could possibly be trying to make.

Presumably if you think any negative comment about anyone, whether they reside on here or not, is not acceptable, I will await your retraction of many comments with a wry smile on my face.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

If I have ever called a fellow oxford fan &quota loud mouthed ignorant arsehole&quot on here then I will of course retract it. Whether they inhabit this little corner of the internet is irrelevant - it's still personal abuse aimed at somebody that a lot of people who do post on here know.

In the past you have been the first to criticise others for personal abuse of the mildest nature and went so far as to ban them from your site. Just pointing out the double standards.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Not sure if Kevin Giles reads this board, but he certainly reads TiU.

He’s also one of Oxfordshire’s best Aunt Sally players, if not the best, so he could probably get a direct hit on Terry's head with one of his clubs from about 20 yards away.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

And he is a very dedicated fan. Yes he often engages with stewards at away games but on the occasions I have seen him do so it has been with some justification.

Kev does his job professionally at the Kasstad so he is qualified to speak/complain away from home.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:I must have been stood near the complainer at the time. the steward told me off for taking pictures / video clips with a digital camera.

I'm sure there are regulations protecting the official media, but apart from (very occasionally these days) posting up a shaky youtube video of a goal, I don't think I am much of a threat to Setanta or whoever shows the goals on tv.
The steward also told my mate off for taking a picture with his digital camera.
He said that digital was a no no but it was ok to take pictures with a mobile phone. (I don't load film into my mobile phone so I would suspect that the very few pics I have taken on it are actually digital)
He started banging on about copyright rules and said that it was not even ok to take pictures in the ground when the game was not in play. I asked if it was ok to take pictures of the outside of the ground and he conceded that it would probably be ok if we were just walking by.

I have just returned from Craven Cottage where I have seen only my second ever live Premiership game and was searched by a steward on the way in. A steward felt the digital camera in my pocket and asked what it was. I told him but said &quotdon't worry I won't take any photes&quot. His reply was it doesn't matter it's only the cameras with great big lenses we are worried about. There were people taking pictures all around most of the time and I suspect that is usually the way of things in bigger crowds.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Not sure if Kevin Giles reads this board, but he certainly reads TiU.

He’s also one of Oxfordshire’s best Aunt Sally players, if not the best, so he could probably get a direct hit on Terry's head with one of his clubs from about 20 yards away.
I was at school with Gilo. Never stopped talking back in those days either. Likes the sound of his own voice.

He's not the only OUFC supporter with that quality though.

:wink: