Yemi and Ledge Listed, Semple gone

Anything yellow and blue
deanwindass
Puberty

Yemi and Ledge Listed, Semple gone

Post by deanwindass »

I don't know why this news depressed me so much considering that I don't rate any of them. Everything about Oxford's depressing me at the moment. :(
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Feel sorry for Yemi. He was just immersed in $hit for so long that in the end he couldn't wash the stink off.

He is virtually guaranteed to join the &quotleft us for a rival and subsequently played much better&quot list.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotSmileyMan&quot wrote:Feel sorry for Yemi. He was just immersed in $hit for so long that in the end he couldn't wash the stink off.
Blame the coaching ???
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

A real shame about Yemi, as he promised so much when he first came to Us and he seemed to be improving for a quite a while after his move from Eastbourne.

Above all, he was a player that a lot of people would pay good money to watch a real impact player when playing at his best but not if you just hoof the ball up the field and expect him to chase after it with three giant centre halves on his back.

Ah well, at least he’ll turn out to be our top goal scorer out of the 41 players we’ve already used this season, most probably.

Dunno what went wrong, but he does join a very long line of players that have recently come into the revolving door at our club armed with talent or alleged potential only to be turned into yet another one to get rid of.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Patterson is going to have to try a different strategy next time we lose a game heavily as he's running out of players to transfer list.

Yemi's change in form can be traced back to when North and Awford left the club (Yemi said they helped him a lot), Patterson replaced them and since then it's been downhill. It's a really disappointing decision because Yemi has proved he can do it at this level and for this club. And quite why Patterson thinks he will get a fee for a player who he says isn't good enough and doesn't try hard is beyond me.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

well, i'm sorry to see him go as last season he provided me with some of my favourite memories. but, i like the fact patterson has been clear about his reasoning, and he has been a shadow of that player this season. he never quite sorted out his decision making, and maybe he was a bit more of a known quantity in the conference this season. i always thought the start of his decline was when he started playing in a shirt with 'yemi' on the back rather than 'odubade', but there you are.

i would just like to post a link to the highlights of this game, as the goals he scored that night made it special.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

So another of last years starts of when we were running away with the league is axed.

Has Yemi been given a run in the team under Patto as a striker with a 'partner' up front?

I'm getting very worried that the ills of this season are being planted at the strikers feet rather then look at the lack of creativity in midfield.

As Yemi has been our only outlet this season other teams have doubled up on him making it very hard to get behind them - especially on the wing. This is not his fault and yet he is being blaimed for it.

Patto may very well get a team of hard working players in as seems to be the trend but if we keep getting rid of any players with any flair then I won't be there to watch it.
MightyOxford1982
Brat

Post by MightyOxford1982 »

Aldershot Fans all seem to want him to join them on loan or something till the end of the year and they are Top!!!!!

I Think this is a Patto BOOT Up The BUM Tactic me thinks and i hope it works i really do!!
Demanding Fans Not Having Fun = Players Being Crushed Under Pressure Dont Forget Non League Football Is Played By Non League Players.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Report on the Beeb website about Yemi scoring twice in a reserves game, including putting away a good pass from Rose.

Also mentions that he's turned down offers from promotion-chasing clubs. Personally, I think we'd be mad to lose him - with the right partner and a run of form he's one of the best strikers in the league.

I'd rather see Patto go first, to be honest.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Yes, Yemi has been rubbish this season but he is still the nearest thing we've got to a hero. Our best players are probably Foster and Turley, but they aren't the kind you go along specifically to watch.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:Yes, Yemi has been rubbish this season but he is still the nearest thing we've got to a hero.
I was thinking about this the other day - &quotNo more heroes any more&quot stuff.

Will there every be another Joey, Billy Hamilton etc.

Matt Green ? If we keep him &amp IF he stays fit?

Or are the days of the fans really identifying with the guys wearing the shirts long gone. And - would it have been different at the Manor where the crowd was so much closer to the guys wearing the shirts and more passionately involved.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotWerthers Original&quot wrote:Yes, Yemi has been rubbish this season but he is still the nearest thing we've got to a hero.
I was thinking about this the other day - &quotNo more heroes any more&quot stuff.

Will there every be another Joey, Billy Hamilton etc.

Matt Green ? If we keep him &amp IF he stays fit?

Or are the days of the fans really identifying with the guys wearing the shirts long gone. And - would it have been different at the Manor where the crowd was so much closer to the guys wearing the shirts and more passionately involved.
To get to hero status, it requires a quality player who is prepared to stay long enough to be recognised as a legend.

Matt Green may get that status, but I really doubt we'll be able to keep him, unless his long standing injury is what is holding him back from the upper echelons of English football.

Yemi isn't really good enough. He's fast enough, but his finishing is terrible.

Foster like Green will be away sooner than later.

Elvis deserves some recognition here too.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:[
To get to hero status, it requires a quality player who is prepared to stay long enough to be recognised as a legend..
What about Guy Whittingham - One game, one goal - but against Slumdon at the County ground &amp we drew if I recall correctly.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote: What about Guy Whittingham - One game, one goal - but against Slumdon at the County ground &amp we drew if I recall correctly.
You don't - we lost 2-1.

Last player who approached cult hero status would have been Jude Stirling, I reckon. Prior to him, maybe Mateo Corbo? To become a hero you've got to have something characteristic about you or your game - not just being a good player (or not) but be having something a bit special or different. None of the current lot have it, except possibly Turley.

Yemi reminds me of a slightly better version of Manny Omoyinmi.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Was that the Manny who played for Gillingham or the one who played for Oxford?

But your comparison is excellent. Both players who appeared to have an uncapped potential to be very good, but just can't unearth the potential consistently.

Hero to me is someone who puts his body on the line for the cause. So I can't think of better examples than Gary Briggs and Dave Langan.