Handy acquisition?

Anything yellow and blue
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Handy acquisition?

Post by Sideshow Rob »

Jamie Hand has been signed on loan from Lincoln for the rest of the season. He was a loanee for us from August to October 2004 and will play in central midfield. I thought he did very well for us last time and could form a useful partnership with Adam Murray. According RO &quotJamie made a big impression during his loan spell from Watford, but sadly United were never in a position to sign him on permanently.&quot He scored 2 goals and was MOM 3 times in 12 appearences.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I liked him a lot. Not as good as Keith Andrews though.

Worry is that he has been drifting for a couple of years now.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

He's shit. Bring back Pettefer.
(oh sorry, wrong thread).

Where is Pettefer BTW, on holiday?
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

he is stuck in the changing room at Milton.

They spun him round 90% and he can only move sideways, so he can't get to the door.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

Keith Andrews? That's worth starting another thread.
Last edited by Sideshow Rob on Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Jamie Hand was excellent for us last time around. I was gutted we couldn't sign him permamently.

He must have 'drifted' a lot to have ended up back here now...
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

How does Hand qualify as an &quotemergency&quot signing then (as per official site)? I thought only goalkeepers were emergencies?
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Because we've only got 5 central midfielders that we're paying a first team wage for - clearly this is not enough.

I like the new team Patto is shaping, much like our last decent team under Denis Smith, a solid back four, good hardworking central midfield who can play a bit of football too, with two out and out wingers and a good choice of strikers (although not sure about Richards yet - Duffy would have scored at least two of the chances he has had by now)

If we can keep them all into the new season I may consider getting another season ticket, if most of them leave by the end of this one I question the point of all this mucking about in a season when we're not going up or down.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Sideshow Rob »

&quotHog&quot wrote:How does Hand qualify as an &quotemergency&quot signing then (as per official site)? I thought only goalkeepers were emergencies?
Maybe we are allowed one emergency Hand job.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I liked Jamie Hand last time around, but then players who return to us rarely do as well second time.

This signing can't be good news for Rose or Pettefer.

I agree with Ty, the team seems to be shaping up a la DNEMSO, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. The important issue will be whether the loanees can be converted into permanents.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by ty cobb »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I liked Jamie Hand last time around, but then players who return to us rarely do as well second time.

I agree with Ty, the team seems to be shaping up a la DNEMSO, which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. The important issue will be whether the loanees can be converted into permanents.
It's nice you agree with my Duffy comments finally :wink:

Make that 2 and a half goals that Duffy would have scored now as he'd have put that pen away last night (and we all know pens aren't proper goals and should only count for half!)

I think Rose is pretty safe, being giving a contract till the end of the season suggests Patto sees something in him rather then Petts and Hutch who he clearly wants rid of.

We could have done with it being Christmas time now so we would still stand a chance for the play offs - it's amazing really how far off them we are giving our playing budget.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:
&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:I liked Jamie Hand last time around, but then players who return to us rarely do as well second time.

It's nice you agree with my Duffy comments finally :wink:

Make that 2 and a half goals that Duffy would have scored now as he'd have put that pen away last night (and we all know pens aren't proper goals and should only count for half!)

I think Rose is pretty safe, being giving a contract till the end of the season suggests Patto sees something in him rather then Petts and Hutch who he clearly wants rid of.

We could have done with it being Christmas time now so we would still stand a chance for the play offs - it's amazing really how far off them we are giving our playing budget.
How many has Duffy bagged for Wrexham now btw? :wink:
x586
Brat

Hand

Post by x586 »

Meaningless ephemera ..... Jamie Hand looked around my mate's house (it was for sale) on Wirral before his move to Chester.

A &quotnice bloke&quot, apparently, but he didn't put in an offer...
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

I remember Hand. If I recall, he was ok without being spectacular. I don't remember anything particularly bad about him. Could be useful, but the jurys out for now.

I'm confused though. Why bother with another loan signing when there's nothing left to play for this season? Do we even need another central midfielder currently? Surely it's a right winger we're more in need of. Neither Yemi or Anaclet have exactly made the role their own have they? If it was a permanent signing then yes maybe I could understand it, but what's the point of another short(ish) term loanee when we still have Pettefer and Hutchinson in the squad?

Also, if Patto's been after another central midfielder for a while, why keep Rose? I like Rose a lot and think he has plenty of potential, but I'm not sure where he's going to fit in. At the moment he's being used as a substitute left winger and that's not really his position. Does Patto even know what to do with him?

I can only assume that our 'esteemed' Manager has yet to make up his mind on or is not sure if he can hold on to some of the players and is keeping his options open. Seems to be the only logical explanation.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotJohn Byrne's Underpants&quot wrote: Why bother with another loan signing when there's nothing left to play for this season?
Presumably because Patterson wants to see if he fits in so that he can work out if he wants him in for next season.
entirely disenchanted