Should this forum become Registration only?

Anything yellow and blue

Should the Rage Online forum be registration only?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:04 pm

Yes
58%
No
No votes
Don't mind either way
42%

Total votes: 12

Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

i thought it was an odd use of your time if you want to publicise your stuff. are they really called 'spybots'? i can never tell when people are having me on about computer and t'interweb stuff, and that just seems too good to be true.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:i thought it was an odd use of your time if you want to publicise your stuff. are they really called 'spybots'? i can never tell when people are having me on about computer and t'interweb stuff, and that just seems too good to be true.
I suppose technically I should ahve called them spambots as spybots are the cookies and keyboard stroke replicators which spy on where you go on the web and report back for spamming purposes.

I hope you all use manual cookie overrides and a spybot detector like Ad-Aware.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

I'm not too bothered either way, but I can understand Martin going down the registration route as it must be a real pain in the arse to keep removing all the spam.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

One question - is there any potential security issue for either myself or admin through accidentally opening a spammer thread (eg. by moving up the list using next thread without checking first) ???

If there is then I would suggest registration, if not, then like most it seems, I like the ideal of open access but would understand if Admin wanted to spend more of his time reading footie threads and less deleting spammy ones.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You're safe, Mooro. The danger comes from either clicking one of the links contained in the spam postings (can lead to viruses or worms infecting your pc or, worse, can lead to you inadvertently buying phenteramine, whatever that is). The other danger comes from the spam users that automatically register on this forum, who rely on admin sending out bulk emails which then will reply with infected emails (not a danger for you, admittedly).
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Yeah but, that and the fact that weÔÇÖve already voted 7-5 to keep out people from TiU and Tim Rosser.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Judging by this mornings list of postings I think it might be time for a review Boris.

It must be driving you nuts.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm already nuts, Dave, but yeah, I'm swinging towards the majority view.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Okay guys (and gals) (and snake). I have reached my decision.

As from about 10.00pm this evening this board will be converted to be Registered Users only (others will still be able to read posts, but only registered users will be permitted to post). Apologies to anyone who might be inconvenienced by this, but hopefully the registration process will be fairly quick and straightforward and not put off anyone who wants to make a spontaneous post. Blame the bastard spammers.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotadmin&quot wrote:Okay guys (and gals) (and snake). I have reached my decision.

As from about 10.00pm this evening this board will be converted to be Registered Users only (others will still be able to read posts, but only registered users will be permitted to post). Apologies to anyone who might be inconvenienced by this, but hopefully the registration process will be fairly quick and straightforward and not put off anyone who wants to make a spontaneous post. Blame the bastard spammers.

Good deciision. The last tide of spam was too much wasn't it?
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Yeah but, that and the fact that we’ve already voted 7-5 to keep out people from TiU and Tim Rosser.
Good to see I'm irritating you..

Season ticket 1578 and 1579 in case you ask zzzzzzzzzz
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Okay - You bastard spammers, I blame you.

Will that do Boris?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Thanks baboo. You got it.

And look, not a single spam post or new spammer overnight. That's got to be a first.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Fab, and this Bird fixed it for you, and you and you...

http://www.a-m-b-s.com/ambs_welcome.asp
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Fab, and this Bird fixed it for you, and you and you...

http://www.a-m-b-s.com/ambs_welcome.asp
Sorry completely over my head this time Snake????