Should this forum become Registration only?

Anything yellow and blue

Should the Rage Online forum be registration only?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:04 pm

Yes
58%
No
No votes
Don't mind either way
42%

Total votes: 12

admin
Site Admin

Should this forum become Registration only?

Post by admin »

I throw this question to you, the users. This forum is currently the only one (of which I am aware) that is open to anyone without the need for a lengthy and tedious registration or password process. This has its upsides (people can post quickly, without logging in, which means we're more likely to attract comments from those who are just passing through such as away supporters or others) and its downsides (it allows 'anonymous' posts, and it makes for more spam). I remain ambivalent (although removing the spam is boring and time-consuming, I think it's worth it if people prefer an open board).

So, please cast your votes - polling will close in one week (on Friday 16 June).
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I post on two similar boards on other subjects and you have to register to post, but once registered you can be auto logged in if you wish.

I would always prefer to keep it open but I don't have to delete the spam.

Stop being so bloody democratic and mark a snap decision Boris.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

although you can't vote unless you're registered, non?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Heh! See DLT - no democracy involved at all (and I never said I was going to act on the poll results).
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

The spammers get on my nerves but I'm happy with the openness.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I think we should let people come on here anonymously and let the I-weirdos have a swipe at people who are not ashamed to put their handle up against their views.

And why not, eh? Let’s make it like TiU so we end up with two pretty identical boards in terms of OUFC discussion.

Joke, Martin, just a joke.
Old Abingdonian
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Old Abingdonian »

What makes the difference for me is the quality of the discussion - ie, whether people who comment on players have actually been to the match, whether those who comment on management issues have some understanding of the financial and organisational issues.

Sorry to sound a bit elitist, but I get a bit fed up with insider abuse and unrealistic aspirations on TiU...
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

From a 'user' point of view, I don't care either way, since I'm registered and get logged in automatically.

Getting rid of the spam would be nice. But my only concern would be if it discouraged other, non-registered folk from posting. Let's face it, it isn't the busiest forum as it is (which is probably why the spam is so noticeable)
SmileyMan

Well, I can't vote, but keep it open

Post by SmileyMan »

As a long-time reader, and ultra-occasional poster, please keep it open. During the recent hiatus, I had to seek my U's related chat in the pit of banality that is TiU, and I nearly cried with relief when you came back on the air.

All the &quotpassing by&quot fans of other clubs etc. will just register, post once, and go away gain, filling up your membership database with hundreds of dormant accounts. I appreciate that the spam is probably a pain, but adding registration won't make it go away, since they have sophisticated auto-registering software anyway.

Anyway, here's my non-vote for openness: X
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

No point in voting for something if you don't tell us the outcome of the poll, Martin.

e-Anarchists United is all very well, but OUFC electronic clutter is, err, a tad annoying and boring.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Post by Resurrection Ox »

Keep it open.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Disagree.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

From the look of the Board tonight, registration might be a good idea (but how do you stop the spammers registering?).
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:From the look of the Board tonight, registration might be a good idea (but how do you stop the spammers registering?).
A lot of the spam postings will be done using spybots. It is unlikely to be someone tapping away on a keyboard in Wyoming.

Provided it is a manually operated registration process, registration prevents spybots and therefore spam.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am minded (as they say) to make the board registration only, as getting rid of both spam and spammers is starting to become too time consuming. The way to prevent the spammers from registering is to have a validation email (so people register, and they get sent an email to which they have to respond before they can post) - as 99%|| of spam is automated and uses false email addresses, this would prevent them from indulging. I'd rather not do this, as I like the concept of openness and stuff, but it is starting to piss me off a bit now.

I'll think about it, and make a decision this week sometime.