35 players...

Anything yellow and blue
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

35 players...

Post by Jimski »

...have appeared in league matches for us so far this season. It made me wonder what the record is for us.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: 35 players...

Post by Baboo »

&quotJimski&quot wrote:...have appeared in league matches for us so far this season. It made me wonder what the record is for us.
In the good old days it would have been a third of that - and there was no bloody fitness coach, and they didn't get knackered and whinge and moan about having to play twice a week ...... jumpers for goal posts.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

41 in the Kemp season.

http://www.rageonline.co.uk/mainpage.ph ... ason_id=43

Looking down that list we had a lot more personalities in the squad than we do today. That really was a surreal season.

And we had Joe Kinnear in charge around that time, and the funniest fans forum I’ve ever attended :D
Last edited by Snake on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re: 35 players...

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:
&quotJimski&quot wrote:...have appeared in league matches for us so far this season. It made me wonder what the record is for us.
In the good old days it would have been a third of that - and there was no bloody fitness coach, and they didn't get knackered and whinge and moan about having to play twice a week ...... jumpers for goal posts.
When I first watched United in the mid seventies you could almost guarantee
the away team line up as there seemed precious few changes from one season to the next. Only one or two additions were made each summer it seemed.

I could almost name you the Tranmere, Bury, Chesterfield, Rotherham,
Colchester, Slumdon and Gillingham teams off the top of head today
from the late 1970's.

(well almost)
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

We're up to 37 now - that Kemp season is starting to look threatened...
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Now we’re up to 39 Jon Murray did a full two page spread on this fact in the Oxford Mail on Friday, which was quite funny (though I can’t find it online, sorry).

A shame he said it was not possible to verify if this was the highest ever number of players used as records in the 60’s were not accessible - from that I can only assume he doesn’t use the RageOnline database before penning his stato/anorak type articles!