On the Telly

Anything yellow and blue
Mally
Grumpy old git

On the Telly

Post by Mally »

Tonight is going to be the first time that we've been on Setanta this season when I'm not going to be at the game but will be watching it on TV and I have to say that I'm really not looking forward to it. I hope I'm wrong but I just have this dreadful feeling that watching on TV will show just how bad we are.

Watching live at the game your mind and eye are tuned to this level of football but on TV you automatically expect a much higher level of skill because most TV games you see are premier league level.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

My wife and daughter are looking forward to an evening of ice dancing and Wild at Heart.... and don't want to sit in kitchen watching them.

I wonder how long it is before I surrender the comfy sofa in the lounge, unable to watch anymore.

Listening to Jerome while soaking in the bath sounds much less stressful.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

But first I must watch our future opponents (yeah right NM), Guinea play Ghana in first game of Nations Cup.

Apparently Guinea are ranked third best team in Africa.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re: On the Telly

Post by Mally »

&quotMally&quot wrote:Tonight is going to be the first time that we've been on Setanta this season when I'm not going to be at the game but will be watching it on TV and I have to say that I'm really not looking forward to it. I hope I'm wrong but I just have this dreadful feeling that watching on TV will show just how bad we are.

Watching live at the game your mind and eye are tuned to this level of football but on TV you automatically expect a much higher level of skill because most TV games you see are premier league level.
Yeah I was right we looked clueless. Not a single spark of skill or creativity the whole game. Long aimless balls from the back and aimless forwards up-front.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Post by OUFC4eva »

As expected another woeful showing. I won't use the word performance.

The easiest three points Exeter City will get for a long time. They did not have to break sweat to beat a lamentable United outft.

Why won't duffy do any running FFS ?

Petts' game has fallen apart, Trainer repeatedly gives the ball away, Anaclet was never fit in a million years yet plays 90 minutes and Weedon will not make it. Fisher was like a fisher out of water, poor lad.

Jim has a lot to answer for. I feel for Patto but the job maybe is too big for him.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:As expected another woeful showing. I won't use the word performance.

The easiest three points Exeter City will get for a long time. They did not have to break sweat to beat a lamentable United outft.

Why won't duffy do any running FFS ?

Petts' game has fallen apart, Trainer repeatedly gives the ball away, Anaclet was never fit in a million years yet plays 90 minutes and Weedon will not make it. Fisher was like a fisher out of water, poor lad.

Jim has a lot to answer for. I feel for Patto but the job maybe is too big for him.
I was wrong. Duffy did play. In body. But not in spirit. But he was not the worst on display! That reverse man of the match ' tag has to go to the gruesome Pettefer. How on earth is he going to be snapped up by any semi professional outfit on that showing?

We were indeed wholly lamentable. But I guess we were missing a shedload of players.

Plus Rose and Anaclet were rustier than that bit of the Titanic they recently found in the North Atlantic.

Liked Declan Benjamin's whole hearted effort.

Be thankful it was only 2-0.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Exshitter

Post by OUFC4eva »

Whilst watching that my mind drifted back to that fantastic night
at St James Park in May when we comfortably beat the Grecians 1-0
in the Play Offs but it should have been more. The comparisons with our side tonight could not be more starker. We were well prepared, fit, organised and played a good match tactically.

Our team was:

Turley

Anaclet

Burgess

Foster (M) Now at Tamworth

Gilchrist

Day

Quinn

Rose

Hargreaves

Odubade

Zebroski

The second leg must go down as the biggest managerial/coaching
disaster in history. We have not recovered from that second leg defeat and may never do so. That was a catastrophic moment for the club.

Duffy's miss still haunts me to this day as does Billy's penalty kick.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:[
We were indeed wholly lamentable. .
And the rest.
I thought we passed it around on the floor a bit early on but with about as much threat as Mother Teresa in a one on one with Mike Tyson.
Many awful moments can be picked out - I'll go for one when Trainer was just standing and watching, anticipation level - zero, by the time he reacted the ball was long gone.
A shower of s***e - again.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

The worst thing about it was it was that our only objective from the match was to lose by as few as possible. It was shameful. It reminded me of the Arsenal match, except that this was a league match, against effing Exeter. We are in trouble.

--

1. Tranfer-listing players mid-season is fine, so long as you know they will find another club. Last week we had a load of poor players. This week we have a load of poor players who are now even more demotivated than they were before. Who is going to sign any of those losers?

My sympathies are with Darren, who has inherited an awful mess, but I don't think he's got this right at all.

2. Playing the kids is admirable as long as you are blooding them in a team that at least wants to win. Teaching them how to lose is unacceptable. That's all we did yesterday.

3. Anyone who slags off Yemi should watch yesterday's match again and again and see how life is without him in the team. Exeter's back 4 could push so far up the pitch because they knew that Duffy and Fisher couldn't and wouldn't get ever behind them. They also had hours on the ball to pick the passes they wanted because last season's top scorer couldn't be arsed chasing anything. Yemi isn't perfect by by god we miss him when he's not there.

I (the drama queen) am worried about relegation now. I doubt any other team in the division could play as badly as that.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Just for a change, I'm going to do the glass half full bit - well almost.

Whilst it was a miserable performance from the experienced pros, I didn't think we learned anything that we didn't already know about them. For me, it was a case of same as it ever was.

And I was really encouraged by Patto giving the youngsters a game. Benjamin's enthusiasm and effort was infectious, and almost re-lit my fire for the club. That desire has been missing from our overpaid underworked players for a long time.

Turley had a terrible game by his standards and we were lucky not to concede more as a result of his blunders.

Day ain't good enough. He just doesn't read the game at all, and has little skill or pace to talk of.

Foster looked our best player, but even he was under so much pressure that it led to a couple of serious mistakes.

Weedon looked a bit out of his depth, and I wonder if he will make it.

Pettefer was appalling. It was as if he had never seen a ball before. His % of completed passes must be very low, and getting caught in possession with no cover behind him was unforgivable.

Trainer is big and strong, but is too slow to make use of that. He occassionally plays a decent long ball, but gives the ball away far too often.

Jeannin actually looked OK when he came on, but perhaps that is a reflection of how bad the others were. then again his shot for the free kick from a very tight angle was selfish in th eextreme, when a good ball in could have resulted in a goal and given half a chance of scoring an equalizer.

Rose looked OK but very unfit. Ditto Anaclet.

The front two gave us nothing all evening. Very poor indeed. Less blame to Fisher as Duffy was the target man, so Fisher was relying on knock downs and flick on which never came. But I still thought Fisher was poor and the re was none of the enthusiasm or effort we have seen in other games. Possibly a bit harsh but hey ho.

Ledge looked OK when he got the ball and at least was an outlet and provider of a few crosses.

Overall, a relegation standard performance. We were as bad as Alty were against us a few weeks ago.

But I don't share Dan's concerns about relegation, simply because there are 5 really bad teams at the bottom, who are bad every week. At least we pick up a few points here and there.

I don't see any of the 6 finding other clubs at the moment, unless we go in for heavily subsidised loan deals, which won't really free up much cash.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Just for a change, I'm going to do the glass half full bit.

I don't see any of the 6 finding other clubs at the moment, unless we go in for heavily subsidised loan deals, which won't really free up much cash.
My glass is usually half, sometimes even two-thirds, full, but after last night's performance it's down to the dregs. My TV will get an apology later for all the abuse I gave it last night. Main culprit was Rob Duffy, who looked totally disinterested and may as well not have been on the pitch. Also to suffer the borisabuse were Trainer, Anaclet, Pettefer (although not for losing possession that led to the goal - it was an appalling pass from Weedon that put him under pressure), Turley, Day, and (sadly) Patto (for taking Rose off rather than Anaclet).

There were some positives - I thought Rose played well considering how long he's been out, and Clarke and Foster had good games (it's all relative), while all of the subs improved the side (although Jeannin got steadily worse as the 2nd half progressed).

In his post-match interview Patto said he hoped to have one or even two new players in this week, which to me implies that at least one of the six has found himself alternative employment - I wonder if that's the real symptom of Hutch's mystery illness? Can't see any of the others attracting new employers (except possibly Corcoran, who at least wasn't guilty by association last night).
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:I thought we passed it around on the floor a bit early on but with about as much threat as Mother Teresa in a one on one with Mike Tyson.
well apparently she did okay toe-to-toe with robert maxwell...

actually, i'm with dan on this one. this is starting to remind me of the mood around the club when we were relegated from the league - poor performances led to disappointment, a lack of interest, and then a slowly increasing sense of alarm as we realised that we really could get relegated.

GY - yes, the bottom teams don't pick up many points, but the problem is, they have a habit of picking up those points against us.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I think we have to be aware of the risk of administration, and so mentally deduct ten points from our total ... leaving us just six above the trapdoor. I recall that Altrincham stay up year after year because of some other side getting into financial sh!tcreek.

Uninterested not disinterested, damn it. Where's Dr Pedanticus when you need him (or her)?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:I think we have to be aware of the risk of administration, and so mentally deduct ten points from our total ... leaving us just six above the trapdoor. I recall that Altrincham stay up year after year because of some other side getting into financial sh!tcreek.

Uninterested not disinterested, damn it. Where's Dr Pedanticus when you need him (or her)?
I can't see any reason why Lenagan would put us into administration as he would just lose his money.

According to Merry, the creditors are up to date, so one of them wouldn't invoke it either.

Of course this conclusion assumes we have been told the whole truth and nothing but the truth to date.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

No, AC, I meant disinterested. I know my grammer, mate.