Worryingly ...

Anything yellow and blue
yellowportly
Brat

Worryingly ...

Post by yellowportly »

received this from a watford supporting friend today ...

I`ve heard that James Clarke the 18 year old defender at Oxford Utd. has been watched by several Championship sides . Watford have watched him 3 times now

not surprised if he were to be picked up, but would be right up there with Elliot going to leicester for me as another nail in the coffin ....
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Part of the reality of being a Conference side. Unless we are going to seriously push to regain League status (which won't now happen until a minted owner takes over), we have to accept that our youth setup is going to primarily be a shop front.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

My Exeter-supporting friend says they're after Eddie ... that would be dreadful, he's just about our only attacking threat and he's one of our own
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

I'm not too worried by any of these rumours. My guess is that supporters of other teams are equally as ignorant of their teams' transfer targets as we are of Oxford's.
Radley Rambler
Grumpy old git

Post by Radley Rambler »

And Clarke has just signed a new deal so they would have to pay ££s for him which is unlikely given his experience. If they offer a large amount, then there's a decision to be made.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotRadley Rambler&quot wrote:And Clarke has just signed a new deal so they would have to pay ££s for him which is unlikely given his experience. If they offer a large amount, then there's a decision to be made.
Would the club realistically stand in his way?

As we know from experience, fees for younger players are set by arbitration, which isn't usually a fair assessment of value.
Zeke
Dashing young thing

Post by Zeke »

Arbitration fees are only set if a player under age 24 (?) leaves at the end of a contract or is a YT player. As Clarke has signed a contract, presumably a fee that Oxford agree to would have to be paid.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotZeke&quot wrote:Arbitration fees are only set if a player under age 24 (?) leaves at the end of a contract or is a YT player. As Clarke has signed a contract, presumably a fee that Oxford agree to would have to be paid.
Are you sure about that Zeke?

Wasn't Dean Whitehead contracted to us when Sunderland pinched him on the cheap via arbitration?
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Wasn't the Deano situation that he was out of contract, but that Sunderland had to compensate us for his development costs because he was under 23?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I think a deal can go to arbitration on a player under contract if the two sides cannot agree to a fee.
Ie. Small Club asks for £1m, Big Club offers 20p, Arbitration splits the difference and sets the fee as 25p || an extra 50p if the player is voted World Player of the Year two years in succession...

Of course we'd like to keep our best youngsters so as to raise the standard of the squad at low cost, but there always remains the question of not standing in their way of 'making it' at a higher level than we can acheive in their lifetime.
We also (given that on other threads we are discussing the potentially terminal financial meltdown of OUFC) cannot ignore the fact that we could do with the money............
yellowportly
Brat

Re:

Post by yellowportly »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Wasn't the Deano situation that he was out of contract, but that Sunderland had to compensate us for his development costs because he was under 23?
deano was offered but didn't sign a new contract but the age thing kicked in which is why we got some compo ... presumably with clarke it's a case of &quotpay what we think he's worth&quot
--== Keep On Keepin' On ==--
Zeke
Dashing young thing

Post by Zeke »

I'm pretty sure I am right (although not about the specific age). As long as the player is under contract, it won't go to a tribunal. It only goes to arbitration if no contract is in place (Youth teamers, a la Blackstock and others) or if the contract expires and they are signed by a different team (under age 24 I think- a la Deano).

Look at the lad from Yeovil I think who Everton just paid 1.5 million for. 18 years old but under contract otherwise Everton would've picked him up for a lot less like Sunderland did for Deano.

Certainly willing to be proved wrong on this. I've always been fascinated by this particular rule so have read a fair bit about it in the past. There is nothing even remotely like it over here in the States that I know of. The closest is the baseball arbitration agreements where players and teams have the players contract for the year set by a 3rd party if a player has fewer than 4 or 5 seasons of experience in the major leagues.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotZeke&quot wrote:I'm pretty sure I am right (although not about the specific age). As long as the player is under contract, it won't go to a tribunal. It only goes to arbitration if no contract is in place (Youth teamers, a la Blackstock and others) or if the contract expires and they are signed by a different team (under age 24 I think- a la Deano).

Look at the lad from Yeovil I think who Everton just paid 1.5 million for. 18 years old but under contract otherwise Everton would've picked him up for a lot less like Sunderland did for Deano.

Certainly willing to be proved wrong on this. I've always been fascinated by this particular rule so have read a fair bit about it in the past. There is nothing even remotely like it over here in the States that I know of. The closest is the baseball arbitration agreements where players and teams have the players contract for the year set by a 3rd party if a player has fewer than 4 or 5 seasons of experience in the major leagues.
No, I'm happy to accept that. It all sounds entirely plausible and your probably right about Deano too. I didn't realise he was OOC at the time.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

a friend of mine went to the Southend game (away) with a Derby County scout to watch him. Their thoughts were that he wasn't good enough.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Re:

Post by Paul Cooper »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:a friend of mine went to the Southend game (away) with a Derby County scout to watch him. Their thoughts were that he wasn't good enough.
Not too surprised that he is not seen as good enough for Derby at the moment. He has a lot of potential though and Boothroyd seems the kind of manager who will take on the younger players and will bring them on.