Stunned silence

Anything yellow and blue
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Stunned silence

Post by Kernow Yellow »

Are people too disgusted by this afternoon to post their analysis? I've never heard the Radox commentators so scathing of an OUFC performance. Nathan basically asked Patto 'why are your players so utterly shit?'

For my part I'm glad I didn't waste 40 quids worth of petrol making the trip. I'm seriously considering not even bothering going to Exeter next Sunday - about the easiest trip I've got all season.

As far as I could tell we started with NO wingers at all, one of our best players out of position (Quinn), and we're still persisting with the Duffy/Yemi partnership up front. Which we all already know doesn't work.

WTF is going on?
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: Stunned silence

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotKernow Yellow&quot]Are people too disgusted by this afternoon to post their analysis? quote]

YES
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

It was abysmal - everyone hoofing it around all afternoon. We only got it down and played a bit (only a little bit too) towards the end of the second half.

Why is it that when Quinn used to play regularly in midfield a couple of seasons ago, he used to be a fairly neat passer - nothing spectacular, but found the simple ball to feet - but now when he gets the ball he just hoofs it forward? Who is telling them to do this?
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

With other committments yesterday I decided not to stress myself out by squeezing in a race down the 303 to watch.

I sat by the radio at 2.30 thinking I would listen to the full game. As soon as I heard a midfield of Pettefer, Quinn, Murray and Trainer I turned the radio off and went shopping.

Surely the main lesson from the Altrincham game was width, pace and space. Why has the experiment of Ledge and Yemi out wide been abandoned so quickly?

So next Saturday? Didcot Town v Thatcham? Racing at Newbury?

I actually fancy a dose of Premiersh1t. I haven't seen a premiership game since Bruce Rioch managed Arsenal so perhaps a trip to Villa Park is an idea for the new future. Could never go to Reading.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotJimski&quot wrote:It was abysmal - everyone hoofing it around all afternoon. We only got it down and played a bit (only a little bit too) towards the end of the second half.

Why is it that when Quinn used to play regularly in midfield a couple of seasons ago, he used to be a fairly neat passer - nothing spectacular, but found the simple ball to feet - but now when he gets the ball he just hoofs it forward? Who is telling them to do this?
Players are almost never told to hoof the ball. It's something they do when their confidence is rock bottom. As most players at Oxford United at most times over the last 10 years have had their confidence at, or around, rock bottom we've seen more hoof than a glue factory.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by theox »

Utter, utter crap and to be honest i just don't care anymore. Further away trips are now being cancelled and attending home games is going to be a struggle.

What's the point when the players give so little back?!
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
&quotJimski&quot wrote: Players are almost never told to hoof the ball. It's something they do when their confidence is rock bottom.
Actually I think they are - defenders in particular. The philosophy of some coaches is get it away at all costs. Others want it played long (get it as far away from goal as possible) but with at least the decency to ask their defenders to try and aim for a forward many many yards away. Then there are those who want the ball played to feet even at the back to a colleague standing (or hopefully moving forward ready to recive) a few yards away.

And why is the confidence rock bottom? Surely the 4-0 demolition of Alty should have helped to bring a bit of belief back or was it so brittle that the injury to McAllister put us back beyond square one - which is a very scary place indeed.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I said exactly the same thing in the car on the way home yesterday - why wasn't the Altrincham result a turning point?

I am this far (indicating a very small gap indeed) from making the decision not to re-new my ST and I've already made the decision that I won't be going to any more away games, not even Aldershot or Woking which are my remaining local ones. Especially not Aldershot as I work in that area and the inevitable humiliation will be one too many.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

I guess we are still numb then. Tried to write something a couple of times and just given up. Patterson, as far as we could tell from the crackling radio as we drove away, talked about not doing the basics. Well, yes, basics like being able to pass the ball to a player on your own side, being able to trap a ball, like knowing that you have to move to make yourself available, like thinking that if the fullback is going forward down the line someone has to move behind him, like knowing that you have to move to get space at throw ins. These are supposed to be professional footballers, goddamnit. And what is really distressing is to see players who arrive with these as good habits losing them after a few months at Oxford. Which raises the key question: what do they bloody do in training? They obviously aren't doing enough skills work, pass and move, because they can't do it. They clearly aren't doing excessive fitness, speed and mobility work, because week after week, we get outrun, outmuscled, outlasted. They don't appear to be practicing set pieces given the shambles at either end. And they don't seem to be doing motivational work either. So what exactly do they do? This has been going on for so long now, that I'm not convinced that another turnover of players will make much difference. How many newcomers have we seen who start brightly then get sucked into the indifference, ineptitude, inexcusable inabilities? There's something rotten at the core here, that needs a root and branch change in preparation.

I don't think there's any mileage in analysing the game itself. I'm a bit worried about the Fish worship though, the idea that seemed to be going around the terraces that you might as well play the youth team from now on 'because at least they'd try and care'. Hmmm.

Gallows humour is all very well, but it's no substitute for having a decent team to watch, a genuine hope or even expectation of seeing a good performance. When the best bit of the entire day is the laughter at finding the AA route directions took us on a detour to a ford of Amazonian depths rather than straight to the ground, you have to question why you do it at all. And SSU row DD may be fairly empty next season if something doesn't change soon.
theox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by theox »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:When the best bit of the entire day is the laughter at finding the AA route directions took us on a detour to a ford of Amazonian depths rather than straight to the ground, you have to question why you do it at all. And SSU row DD may be fairly empty next season if something doesn't change soon.
You clearly had the same directions as me! I didn't risk it in the Saxo though!

Found our way via the ring road in the end. Although at the end of the game we turned left out of that Partidge Way which took us directly back to the route home so why the AA doesn't say go that way in the first place i'll never know!!
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Since Brian Horton left us for better things none of our managers have subsequently worked again in the English league, with the exception of Denis at Wrexham, whereas lots of ex-players are doing fine elsewhere. This implies that our problems stem largely from the appalling shower of managers we've been saddled with, and that the precise lineup of players isn't really the point. It's too early to judge Patterson, of course, but he should certainly go if we don't finish the season strongly
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Is working in the English league the only criterion on which to judge success? Ramon Diaz has won the Argentine league with San Lorenzo, Brian Talbot won the Maltese league (I know, I know) with Marsaxxlox.

In addition, Mark Wright did go on to manage in the English league with Chester City (twice) and Peterborough. I won't include Rix's tenure at Hearts because he was quite clearly only appointed to carry out Romanov's orders, while no one in their right minds would employ Kemp in a managerial capacity (only in a janitorial role).

In conclusion, no conclusions can be drawn.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Christopher Hitchens wrote a book about Bill Clinton called No-One Left To Lie To.

Perhaps someone should write one about Oxford called No-One Left To Lose To.
entirely disenchanted
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote: Perhaps someone should write one about Oxford called No-One Left To Lose To.
Ah, but there is. We've not lost (yet) to Altrincham, Farsley Celtic, er, Lewes, or Eastbourne Borough (both of whom may well be promoted from Conference South this season).
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote: There's something rotten at the core here, that needs a root and branch change in preparation.
Have you been reading the Oxford Mail?