A Few Questions

Anything yellow and blue
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

A Few Questions

Post by recordmeister »

1. What is all this rubbish being talked about AFC Oxford? As far as I am aware, Oxford United Football Club still exists and isn't any any immediate danger of going out of business. We are hardly Luton Town, are we? All this poppycock talk is like saying to your wife &quotI know you have a cold, but i'm worried it might turn into something a little more serious so I've joined an internet dating agency. Ya know... just in case. Wouldn't want the kids to be left without a mum now, would i?&quot. It's sick, I tell ya.

2. More poppycock about IL wanting to pull his money out. Does he? Does he really? If that is the case, how have we managed to resign two of our highest paid players (I would guess) on fairly long term deals? Where has the money come from for that, if IL has &quotpulled out&quot or wants to pull out. I recently lost my job and when you know you ain't gonna get a regular wage for a bit, the last thing you do is going on a spending spree or sign loads of expensive contracts for stuff. The same is true of running a football club. This would be evident to me that he is in it for a little while longer.
Werthers Original
Dashing young thing

Post by Werthers Original »

Yes quite!

This thread at the Guardian should please some of you jumpers-for-goalpost types - there's a few votes for the Manor

http&#58//blogs&#46guardian&#46co&#46uk ... _g&#46html
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:Anyone know what this means?

http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews ... on=article
AIM is the Alternative Invesmtment Market and is kind of like the FTSE for smaller companies who have a lot of trading in their shares.

I can't say what the cause is in this case without doing more research, but such announcements are normally made when either the share price has reacha deMinismis amount such that it is regarded that investors no longer have faith in the business, or when the business is aware of financial difficulties it is in and asks trading to be ceased, or when a floated business is going to be transferred into private hands because the shareholding of one individual is so large, there is no longer anything to trade.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

It appears that Sports Cafe are in a spot of financial bother:

http&#58//www&#46londonstockexchange&#4 ... source=RNS

Given the suspension of share trading, I would guess the bank has declined the request for an extension of facilities.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: A Few Questions

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:1. What is all this rubbish being talked about AFC Oxford? As far as I am aware, Oxford United Football Club still exists and isn't any any immediate danger of going out of business. We are hardly Luton Town, are we? All this poppycock talk is like saying to your wife &quotI know you have a cold, but i'm worried it might turn into something a little more serious so I've joined an internet dating agency. Ya know... just in case. Wouldn't want the kids to be left without a mum now, would i?&quot. It's sick, I tell ya.

2. More poppycock about IL wanting to pull his money out. Does he? Does he really? If that is the case, how have we managed to resign two of our highest paid players (I would guess) on fairly long term deals? Where has the money come from for that, if IL has &quotpulled out&quot or wants to pull out. I recently lost my job and when you know you ain't gonna get a regular wage for a bit, the last thing you do is going on a spending spree or sign loads of expensive contracts for stuff. The same is true of running a football club. This would be evident to me that he is in it for a little while longer.
If you believe 1 then you need to re-consider. The club is in financial dire straits and only continues to operate because Lenagan allows it to.

Some might want to put 2 and 2 together and connect Lenagan rumoured to be wanting his money back, and Sports Cafe being in financial trouble.
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote:Anyone know what this means?

http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews ... on=article
AIM is the Alternative Invesmtment Market and is kind of like the FTSE for smaller companies who have a lot of trading in their shares.

I can't say what the cause is in this case without doing more research, but such announcements are normally made when either the share price has reacha deMinismis amount such that it is regarded that investors no longer have faith in the business, or when the business is aware of financial difficulties it is in and asks trading to be ceased, or when a floated business is going to be transferred into private hands because the shareholding of one individual is so large, there is no longer anything to trade.

Cutting to the quick, they are in the s**t. Lenagan has 1.5% of the shares. Bad times for the leisure sector coming.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharec ... ?csi=31322

Hey ho, and away we go
Lenagan has seemingly a mere £30 k investment in this. It is not his bread and butter.No need to man the lifeboats I'd say.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re: A Few Questions

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:1. What is all this rubbish being talked about AFC Oxford? As far as I am aware, Oxford United Football Club still exists and isn't any any immediate danger of going out of business. We are hardly Luton Town, are we? All this poppycock talk is like saying to your wife &quotI know you have a cold, but i'm worried it might turn into something a little more serious so I've joined an internet dating agency. Ya know... just in case. Wouldn't want the kids to be left without a mum now, would i?&quot. It's sick, I tell ya.

If you believe 1 then you need to re-consider. The club is in financial dire straits and only continues to operate because Lenagan allows it to.

Some might want to put 2 and 2 together and connect Lenagan rumoured to be wanting his money back, and Sports Cafe being in financial trouble.
Reconcile that with Murray being signed on 18 month contracts, Turley and Quinn re-signing for 2 years. As RM says it doesn't really stack up.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

sports cafe gone into administration. RNS 6pm
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:
&quotAncient Colin&quot wrote:http://www.sharecast.com/cgi-bin/sharec ... ?csi=31322

Hey ho, and away we go
Lenagan has seemingly a mere £30 k investment in this. It is not his bread and butter.No need to man the lifeboats I'd say.
IL clearly isn't in trouble with that level of investment, unless of course he has other loans owing to him by Sports Cafe.

The new signings are meaningless to whether Lenagan wants out or not. If he is to recoup any of his money, the club will need to be in a sensible position football wise.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Hey ho, and away we go
Which of the companies does he have only 1.5% of the shares in?

There are several companies in the group and until his full investment in terms of shareholdings in each of the companies, and his investment in terms of loans in each of the companies can be established, we can conclude nothing either way about any possible effects on OUFC.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

Hey ho, and away we go
Which of the companies does he have only 1.5% of the shares in?

There are several companies in the group and until his full investment in terms of shareholdings in each of the companies, and his investment in terms of loans in each of the companies can be established, we can conclude nothing either way about any possible effects on OUFC.

Look at the annual report, downloadable from website. Possibly he has sunk some money in after event of course. Shows consolid balnace sheet. Not a brilliant company - some interesting information. No wonder it has tipped over.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

Hey ho, and away we go
IL clearly isn't in trouble with that level of investment, unless of course he has other loans owing to him by Sports Cafe.

The new signings are meaningless to whether Lenagan wants out or not. If he is to recoup any of his money, the club will need to be in a sensible position football wise.
No they are not meaningless. The long contracts are significant monetary commitments for the next 18 months/ 2 years. Quinn/Turley/Murray = lets say £150K? I see this development as being positive indicators of continuing support.