Here's a thought

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Here's a thought

Post by Mooro »

by this time next week, we could be just three points off the playoffs....
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Ever the optimist!

IF we sign another player or two (including a left sided midfield player), and did win the next 2 games, I would start thinking that it was possible.
OUFC4eva
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by OUFC4eva »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:Ever the optimist!

IF we sign another player or two (including a left sided midfield player), and did win the next 2 games, I would start thinking that it was possible.
Weymouth should be three points. I had a quick look at the Terras team that lost 4-1 at Ebbsfleet and not too many names looked familiar apart from
Nick Crittenden. Simon Weatherstone was subbed very early (an injury I presume) and i've no idea where Beavon is.

Salisbury away looks tougher but not as tough as it looked last week.The biggest decision facing us at Sarum is what ale to drink and where to drink it: a veritable Aladdins cave of ales and beers in this City.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by DLT »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:

Weymouth should be three points. I had a quick look at the Terras team that lost 4-1 at Ebbsfleet and not too many names looked familiar apart from
Nick Crittenden. Simon Weatherstone was subbed very early (an injury I presume) and i've no idea where Beavon is.

Salisbury away looks tougher but not as tough as it looked last week.The biggest decision facing us at Sarum is what ale to drink and where to drink it: a veritable Aladdins cave of ales and beers in this City.
As source tells me that there is no Pub within a mile of the ground and visiting supporters won't be welcome in their supporters club.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:
&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote:

As source tells me that there is no Pub within a mile of the ground and visiting supporters won't be welcome in their supporters club.
Indeed, and the ground's even further out of the city centre than ours is! And we get (yet another) open terrace.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotOUFC4eva&quot wrote: I had a quick look at the Terras team that lost 4-1 at Ebbsfleet and not too many names looked familiar apart from
and i read a mr. j. louis won't be involved either:

http&#58//news&#46bbc&#46co&#46uk/sport ... 905&#46stm
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

42 points from our last 21 games should get us in the play offs.

What's that - 12 wins, 6 draws, 3 defeats...?

It's a big ask (he says, going to check our remaining fixtures to see if it's plausable.)
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

sorry to be totally out of character, but it isn't possible.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

08-01-2008 Weymouth - Home - WIN (running points total: 3)
12-01-2008 Salisbury City Away - WIN (6)
20-01-2008 Exeter City Away - DRAW (7)
26-01-2008 Grays Athletic home - WIN (10)
02-02-2008 Aldershot - Away - LOSE (10)
09-02-2008 Histon - home - WIN (13)
16-02-2008 Droylsden - home - WIN (16)
23-02-2008 York City- away - DRAW (17)
01-03-2008 Forest Green Rovers - away - WIN (20)
04-03-2008 Cambridge United - Home - DRAW (21)
08-03-2008 Burton Albion Home - DRAW (22)
15-03-2008 Stafford Rangers - Away - WIN (25)
22-03-2008 Halifax Town - Away - WIN (28)
24-03-2008 Stevenage Borough - Home - DRAW (29)
29-03-2008 Northwich Victoria - Home - WIN (32)
05-04-2008 Weymouth - Away - DRAW (33)
08-04-2008 Torquay United - Away - LOSE (33)
12-04-2008 Farsley Celtic - Home - WIN (36)
19-04-2008 Woking - Away - WIN (39)
22-04-2008 Rushden &amp Diamonds - Home - WIN (42)
26-04-2008 Ebbsfleet United - Away - DRAW (43)

Oh my god. 12 wins, 7 draws, 2 defeats. 43 points. 79 for the season.

Play-offs here we come.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

That's quite some home record you have us achieving there, Dan. In fact that series of results is very remiscent of 95-96. Which proves it's possible, but you're basing this all on ONE game against a part-time team that we tend to beat comfortably.

If we have 6 more points come Saturday evening, I'll start to consider it.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

it's not just an amazing set of results that would be required to see us into the play offs though, is it? there are six teams between us and those spots. that means we're relying on all of them having a significantly worse season than us, and one of the teams in the play off spots falling away. to get to 79 points, cambridge only now need 34 points from 22 games - 1.55 points a game.

sure, i expect a team will fall out of the play off spots, and some of the chasing pack won't produce the form to take advantage of this - but to expect none of them to do so other than us seems unrealistic to me.

of course i'd love to think it could happen. but my realistic hope is still that we finish the season strongly, playing the sort of football we did against alty, leaving us with a good nucleus for next season, and some positivity in the stands.

as KY says, it's also just one game that we're excited about. we're probably just a poor/indifferent result away from all jumping back on to the 'why are we so utterly s*#t?' thread...
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

79 points, in the vastly unlikely event that we acquired them, would almost certainly put us in the play-offs.
entirely disenchanted
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Time to dig up and dust off the old stats machine! More later......
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

It's also time for Pena to dig out that league table from January '96.

I remember we won away for the first time that season on January 30th, (my birthday), away at Burnley.

I staggered home drunk from the pub, switched on Ceefax and was too pissed to focus on the score.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:It's also time for Pena to dig out that league table from January '96.
What, because we've won one in a row?
entirely disenchanted