The 96 club

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

The 96 club

Post by GodalmingYellow »

As no one else is bothered, I'll comment on the Aldershot game as one of the 96 Oxford fans who went.

Much better workrate from the players than we have seen in recent weeks, but as ever, lack of intelligent play and creativity let us down.

I only counted 3 shots on target from the U's and one of them might have been going over the bar. That's just not a good enough foundation to win a game of football, and if there are funds available for Patto in January, priority needs to be given to left winger, creative central midfielder and at least 1 striker.

Sadly I suspect there won't be funds for that degree of change, even if Duffy decides to ply his &quottrade&quot at Kettering in future.

Selected highlights for me were the lively Ledgister, and a steady performance from Warrell.

Big disappointment was Yemi. Frequently Ledgister got past his man with good control and pace, but Yemi didn't bother running into the space ahead to receive the ball, which would have cut open the sluggish Aldershot defence and created a hatful of chances. And when Yemi did get a decent shooting chance early on, he turned inside fine to create space, but then shot wide when it was easier to hit the target, with only the keeper to beat and one defender on the line.

We are also too small in central midfield. We can't play Rose and Pettefer together, as they will lose the physical battle.

Jeannin's ball delivery and long passing was much improved, but again, defensively he was weak.

Duffy was very poor again, and didn't once get above gentle jog. He does none of the hard work chasing and closing down defenders. Patroling a line between the penalty spot and centre sport isn't good enough for a striker.

At least I only had a 20 minute drive home!!
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Oh, how I would kill for the Martin Gray / David Smith midfield combo right now!
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

Mmmm, I think they're both a bit old now.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

How many went to Aldershot for that FA Cup game?
entirely disenchanted
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

GY, was your view that Yemi was not particularly trying or was not intelligent enough to read Ledgister's passes?

The OM said that there were 104 Oxford fans.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotPaul Cooper&quot wrote:GY, was your view that Yemi was not particularly trying or was not intelligent enough to read Ledgister's passes?

The OM said that there were 104 Oxford fans.
Got my numbher of OUFC fans from the Aldershot website.

Bit of both on Yemi.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

As one of the 96 club (away ticket number 120), I thought we played quite well. Something seems to go wrong once we get into the opposition half.
When Yemi was supersub last season he'd run at their defence and so many times get tripped or nudged and down he would go for the penalty or free kick.

This season I have three theories for why this doesn't happen.
1 - the opposition have worked him out, so he is marked out as soon as he tries a run all the way to goal.
2 - yemi has perhaps lost pace and the will to run and attack. he seems unwilling to chase back, especially after he goes down will frequently leave us offside as he wanders back into play.
3 - because of 1, OUFC management tell him not to do those runs all the way, and instead he and all the others have to try and get a cross in to the forwards.

watching us try and pass the ball around opposition penalty areas seemingly scared for anyone to have a go unless they are clean through is depressing.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotslappy&quot wrote:2 - yemi has perhaps lost pace and the will to run and attack. he seems unwilling to chase back, especially after he goes down will frequently leave us offside as he wanders back into play.
This was shown up all too clearly yesterday (Crawley). I don't know whether it's fitness or inclination he's lacking, but his workrate after losing the ball was appalling. As was his crossing.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotslappy&quot wrote:2 - yemi has perhaps lost pace and the will to run and attack. he seems unwilling to chase back, especially after he goes down will frequently leave us offside as he wanders back into play.
This was shown up all too clearly yesterday (Crawley). I don't know whether it's fitness or inclination he's lacking, but his workrate after losing the ball was appalling. As was his crossing.
Sorry? Yemi's workrate could not be faulted. He put in a shift. some of his crosses were wayward but he pulled back a peach of a ball for Trainer to screw up royally.

Though, as they say, football , at the end of the day, is a game of opinions.
slappy
Grumpy old git

Post by slappy »

I thought Yemi was much improved yesterday - a brilliant effort. Ran his legs off and so much more inspired.
Paul Cooper
Dashing young thing

Post by Paul Cooper »

Yemi tried hard yesterday but looks unfit to me. After 2 or 3 runs in the second half, he had to stop to catch his breath.

A friend came along for the first game of the season and commented that Yemi appears to have put on weight.