Kassam drove the club into the ground

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

I got my ST today (why do I keep doing this?).[/quote]

Because you are an Oxford United supporter. (I am of course assuming by ST you mean season ticket and not something else)
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote: Let's not go through this bit of revisionism again (not you personally GY, but I've seen it so often from others over the years).

We were not going to get promoted the season Atkins left - yes, we were 5th at the time, but in freefall, with terrible form and worse performances. We were lucky to be near the top of the league anyway, and had been found out. Atkins didn't know what to do about it.
why would we not have got promoted? yes we'd been found out, but the atkins' strategy was always a percentage game, and if teams didn't focus for the entire game, it could always nick a draw or a win.

we needed another win to get into the play offs, and if we'd done that, could well have stumbled up a league. we'd probably have been down next season, mind, but let's not forget the unscaled heights of cluelessness that rix brought to the close of that season.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:why would we not have got promoted?
Because we were fifth and falling like a stone, averaging about a point a game since the new year. There was no way automatic promotion was on the cards, and given our complete lack of play-off experience, not to mention the fact that we were losing to any team that had anything to play for, I don't see how we would have gone up through the play-offs either.

Read the RO match reports from early 2004 - even the games we won - and refresh your memory of how crap we were.
Frank
Puberty

Re:

Post by Frank »

&quotKernow Yellow&quot wrote:
&quotMatt D&quot wrote:why would we not have got promoted?
Because we were fifth and falling like a stone, averaging about a point a game since the new year. There was no way automatic promotion was on the cards, and given our complete lack of play-off experience, not to mention the fact that we were losing to any team that had anything to play for, I don't see how we would have gone up through the play-offs either.

Read the RO match reports from early 2004 - even the games we won - and refresh your memory of how crap we were.

I'd have liked some of that crapness last season as opposed to what we had - including the last 8 games.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Snake »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:I got my ST today (why do I keep doing this?).
Because you are an Oxford United supporter. (I am of course assuming by ST you mean season ticket and not something else)[/quote]

Um, yes, but loads of people support United and they don’t all get season tickets…

And here we are in the middle of June and we’re still told that it will be a “week or two
SuperOx

Post by SuperOx »

Agents trade players around and play clubs off against each other.

Desperation starts to creep in when players get paid for the last time on June 30th and are then out of contract and reality sets in.

You will see lots of signings in around two weeks.

Post by »

So all the clubs signing players in June are just stupid and we are sensible, or have I misinterpreted your posting?

Re:

Post by »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote:I got my ST today (why do I keep doing this?).
Because you are an Oxford United supporter. (I am of course assuming by ST you mean season ticket and not something else)
Um, yes, but loads of people support United and they don’t all get season tickets…

And here we are in the middle of June and we’re still told that it will be a “week or two
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

Of course, “guest

Re:

Post by »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:
I do realise that people need a holiday but if this had been the situation last year then people would be jumping up and down and criticising Talbot and Kassam.
Of course snake, this time last year we'd had 6 years of mismanagement under Kassam. It's only natural that the new owners should enjoy a more sympathetic supporter base at first.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

It is indeed only natural, I agree 100%.

Any more “Guests