"our passing at times was immaculate"

Anything yellow and blue
neilw
Puberty

"our passing at times was immaculate"

Post by neilw »

It was that comment from Merry, on Rad Ox, after the game that sent me apoplectic.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Post by Shoobedoo »

&quotIt's not like we put a team out there not to win&quot

...is another one. What a load of bollards. We put teams out to avoid defeat (and we fail miserably). How else do you explain five defenders and three defensive midfielders? Other than complete raving lunacy of course.

With quotes like that and the one you highlight Neil I'm beginning to think that the manager is not the only problem at the club
John Byrne's Underpants
Puberty

Post by John Byrne's Underpants »

Also concerning is Jim's comments in the Oxford Mail. Especially:

&quotAt the end of the day, I pick the team and that's my responsibility, obviously, but we were let down by the players tonight.&quot

Yep, it's all the players fault.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

on the subject of quotes in the oxford mail, i'm unclear as to how the conclusion that the board is meeting to discuss the situation has been drawn from this:
&quotnick merry&quot wrote:&quotTonight is not a time for discussion and if there are to be any discussions, Jim will be part of them.

&quotHe's a director of the football club, he's on the board and those discussions are made as a board.

&quotWe're just having a tough time and we've got to stick together. The football club is a massive club with massive support but we've just got to stick together and we'll keep moving forward.&quot
has something been confirmed elsewhere?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotMatt D&quot wrote:on the subject of quotes in the oxford mail, i'm unclear as to how the conclusion that the board is meeting to discuss the situation has been drawn from this:
&quotnick merry&quot wrote:&quotTonight is not a time for discussion and if there are to be any discussions, Jim will be part of them.

&quotHe's a director of the football club, he's on the board and those discussions are made as a board.

&quotWe're just having a tough time and we've got to stick together. The football club is a massive club with massive support but we've just got to stick together and we'll keep moving forward.&quot
has something been confirmed elsewhere?
I wondered that??

That quote also brought me to think -
i) an unfortunate reference to moving forward as that appears to be the one thing we cannot (or are not set to) achieve as a team and
ii) sometimes moving forward is not necessarily a good thing, most notably when you are facing in the wrong direction!
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

&quotThe club is 13th in the Conference with about 1500 supporters fewer per home game than last season
Fixed that for you, Nick.
The Enforcer
Brat

Post by The Enforcer »

The only good exhibition of passing I saw from our lot was after the final whistle when the buck was passed crisply from boardroom to management to players to fans.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Just noticed another odd quote post-Droylsden, this time from Jim Smith:

&quotIf we had won on Saturday we'd have been a couple of points off the play-offs&quot

Um, after Saturday's matches, the bottom side in the play-off zone had 27 points. We would have had 23 had we beaten Droylsden. A &quotcouple&quot???
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

..and remember it was ALL Eddie Hutchinsons fault for missing that header after the break!!!
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotJimski&quot wrote:Just noticed another odd quote post-Droylsden, this time from Jim Smith:

&quotIf we had won on Saturday we'd have been a couple of points off the play-offs&quot

Um, after Saturday's matches, the bottom side in the play-off zone had 27 points. We would have had 23 had we beaten Droylsden. A &quotcouple&quot???
2 points, 4 points, 2 centre backs, 5 centre backs - you know how confusing it can be sometimes.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

&quotSmith said: &quotBefore the game we were the underdogs. But we were 3-0 up and were then expected to win. Now, it's all 'oh we only drew' but before the game we'd have been happy with a draw.&quot

Who exactly whould be happy with a home draw for a &quotmust win game&quot? Anyone?
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I'd have been happy with a home draw against the league leaders and most prolific scorers in the league if:
i) we hadnt drawn from three up
and ii) it had been the only points dropped in a seven game sequence of matches against the might of the four promoted clubs, Woking and a dismal York side!
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

The one I still cannot get over is when asked about his position he replied &quotthat's rubbish...it's not as if we're bottom of the league and six points adrift&quot...

Has his grip on reality slipped that far?

There are 24 places in this division, 19 of which will be a categorical failure for this side, with four more barely excusable &amp still tantamount to failure given our propensity for not handling big games well.

In other words, bieng more than six points adrift of even those four spots (and more than sixTEEN adrift of the only truly acceptable one) is a more than adequate reason to be asking the question and if he cannot recognise that, then......

##

I cannot believe Merry cannot recognise the degree of anguish it is causing supporters to have to turn on a former hero such as this, and the degree of failure that it has taken for it to have to happen.
Merry needs to be cruel to be kind, not only before ALL respect his friend and idol once had is eroded forever, but also so that the club can unite and move forward off-the-field too, which our current on-field exploits are preventing...