UnderStanding

Anything yellow and blue
Shoobedoo
Puberty

UnderStanding

Post by Shoobedoo »

Does anybody else think we should be finding a place for Michael Standing in the team?

I have to say I've only got the evidence of a couple of friendlies and some brief substitute appearances to go on, but I thought - in the friendlies especially - that we have a midfielder here who has a quick brain and a really good eye for a pass.

I think I wrote at one point (in an uncharacteristic outburst of optimism, it is fair to be said!) that should we sign him we would get promoted. Well we signed him, but Jim has hardly used him.

Particularly now that we've got Shaw playing well behind the front two, having both in the team would give us real threat from midfield - if Standing is all I hope he could be.

I have nothing against Phil Trainer and believe he also has been an excellent addition to the squad, but he is looking a bit tired and I think he needs a well-earned rest. Here's an opportunity for Jim to indicate a willingness to be more attacking by giving Standing a go.

Thoughts?
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: UnderStanding

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotShoobedoo&quot wrote:Does anybody else think we should be finding a place for Michael Standing in the team?

I have to say I've only got the evidence of a couple of friendlies and some brief substitute appearances to go on, but I thought - in the friendlies especially - that we have a midfielder here who has a quick brain and a really good eye for a pass.

I think I wrote at one point (in an uncharacteristic outburst of optimism, it is fair to be said!) that should we sign him we would get promoted. Well we signed him, but Jim has hardly used him.

Particularly now that we've got Shaw playing well behind the front two, having both in the team would give us real threat from midfield - if Standing is all I hope he could be.

I have nothing against Phil Trainer and believe he also has been an excellent addition to the squad, but he is looking a bit tired and I think he needs a well-earned rest. Here's an opportunity for Jim to indicate a willingness to be more attacking by giving Standing a go.

Thoughts?
I agree he's got a good brain, but he's too slow for me and I must admit I've been a bit disappointed.

I would prefer to see us using Pettefer more.
Isaac
Dashing young thing

Post by Isaac »

Midfielders often look good in friendlies, the game is slower and they get more time. I've only seen Standing a little, but he didn't particularly impress me - too early to say though really.

I'm also disappointed that Peteffer hasn't been seen much this year - during our unbeaten run he played almost every game, got injured and has only had the odd game since.

I don't think Trainer and Hutchinson should necessarily play together, but perhaps Smith is nervous of the lack of height and strength in the back 3 (and they are a bit small/fragile on occasions) that he has them in partly for that reason. Maybe once Willmott/Gilchrist are fit we will see Peteffer/Standing a bit more often.
Last edited by Isaac on Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: UnderStanding

Post by Baboo »

&quotShoobedoo&quot wrote:Does anybody else think we should be finding a place for Michael Standing in the team?
Yes. He has not been given a fair chance. Good footballing brain. Makes himself available and can pass the ball. I also like the way he actually runs at defenders from time to time. We rarely see central midfielders who run towards the opponents goal when the opportunity presents itself.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

So Standing's not happy with a seat on the bench?
entirely disenchanted
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:I don't think Trainer and Hutchinson should necessarily play together, but perhaps Smith is nervous of the lack of height and strength in the back 3 (and they are a bit small/fragile on occasions) that he has them in partly for that reason. Maybe once Willmott/Gilchrist are fit we will see Peteffer/Standing a bit more often.
I think that is a very valid point, particularly in this league, where lack of skill is often replaced with size.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

I'd certainly like to see a Standing start more often. As I've said before he's a quality player who can pick out passes that others don't see and is prepared to run at defenders.

On the downside in this league he is a bit lightweight and playing against some more physical sides I suppose Jim's worry is that he'll find it hard to compete but I don't think he should be too concerned about this. You need strong defenders but even against big strong teams there's room for a more creative player in midfield.

At the moment our only attacking options are wing backs are lumped long balls. Standing would give us an opportunity to play through the middle more and I think Yemi is more suited to balls played through defences rather than over the top. I'd back Yemi almost every time to beat a defender over 20 yards to a ball on the deck but in the air and with defences playing deep he's going to lose out to the keeper or bigger defender more often than not.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

On the downside in this league he is a bit lightweight and playing against some more physical sides I suppose Jim's worry is that he'll find it hard to compete but I don't think he should be too concerned about this. You need strong defenders but even against big strong teams there's room for a more creative player in midfield.
I agree. Exeter seemed to play well against us with quite a few smaller but more skillful players. Mind you, they have drawn more than half their games this season, so it's perhaps not the best example.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Matt D »

i just think trainer's in need of a rest, and standing and pettefer seem, at minimum, capable replacements.