Hmmmm

Anything yellow and blue
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Hmmmm

Post by YF Dan »

You may have seen this link on TiU, it makes some interesting reading.

http://www.altyfans.co.uk/index.php?topic=3017.0.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Very interesting, even if some or all of the detail was fabricated..

The point re: comments to the press about players is a valid one, both in terms of their own confidence and also whether the opposition can use it to their benefit - Smith of course is not the first to do this, but he does make a habit of it..

I'm presuming the thing about him being released is made up, not even Jim would handle it like that would he?
Tardif is already on the transfer list of course (and has been since January), so he ahs always been a prime candidate to go to help the budget cap, but I would be very surprised if Smith would just release him like that, however good Warrell looked in training on Friday..

And anyway, no real surprise he is struggling given he has barely played a competitive game since he signed his new deal 15 months ago....(two days before Turley - I wonder if he'd known then what was to follow whether he'd have made a different decision).
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

yeah, saw that. if it is true there is a very simple answer from Tardif to Jim:

&quotOkay, why don't you get a loan keeper in the like one who cost us 3 points away at Wrexham the season we dropped out of the league?&quot

Anyway. Jim was not harsh about Tards on RadOx after the game. In fact he pretty much praised him, esp when you put it in the context of what he said about Danny Rose.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote: &quotOkay, why don't you get a loan keeper in the like one who cost us 3 points away at Wrexham the season we dropped out of the league?&quot
Surely he only cost us two points at Wrexham?
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotboris&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote: &quotOkay, why don't you get a loan keeper in the like one who cost us 3 points away at Wrexham the season we dropped out of the league?&quot
Surely he only cost us two points at Wrexham?
You are being pedantic today!
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

What did Jim say about Danny Rose then?
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

Curious remark about the Real Madrid keeper. I don't think either of the two sides would turn down Casillas if he offered them his services.
entirely disenchanted
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotJimski&quot wrote:What did Jim say about Danny Rose then?
Nathan (or whoever it was suggested that Rose had looked good again after coming on. Jim's reply was something along the lines of:

&quotNot from where I was standing he didn't. He was playing for Danny Rose, not for the team&quot
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Danny shouldn't worry. Jim hasn't got a great deal positive to say about many players at the moment.
ty cobb
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by ty cobb »

Very worrying if true, Tards is actually a very good keeper I think, his shot stopping is unbelivable at times, ok he flaps at crosses a bit but at least he comes out for them - Turley is often rooted on his line.

Under Rix he quite often kept us in the game but Talbot and Smith clearly don't rate him which is a shame because with a bit of encouragement and a few games he would be one of the better keepers at this level.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Very worrying if true, Tards is actually a very good keeper I think, his shot stopping is unbelivable at times, ok he flaps at crosses a bit but at least he comes out for them - Turley is often rooted on his line.

Under Rix he quite often kept us in the game but Talbot and Smith clearly don't rate him which is a shame because with a bit of encouragement and a few games he would be one of the better keepers at this level.
I pretty much agree with this.

I don't thinks Tards commands his box too well either.

But as I posted on the dark side, it isn't just about the players. If Tards is known to have weaknesses in his game, we are paying top dollar to an ancient ex-England goalie to coach him to play better. Precisely how is Mr Hodgkinson earning his crust, if Tards has not improved in these aspects?

Turley is clearly the better of the two keepers, but Tards is still better than most in this league in my view.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Danny shouldn't worry. Jim hasn't got a great deal positive to say about many players at the moment.
This is true. Apparently Jim was none too polite about AscOx's favourite boy, Hutchinson, either.
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotYF Dan&quot wrote:Danny shouldn't worry. Jim hasn't got a great deal positive to say about many players at the moment.
This is true. Apparently Jim was none too polite about AscOx's favourite boy, Hutchinson, either.
'Favourite boy'. Hmm.

I heard him say he took him off because Eddie was 'ill'. Hardly the biggest slagging in history is it?
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotty cobb&quot wrote:Very worrying if true, Tards is actually a very good keeper I think, his shot stopping is unbelivable at times, ok he flaps at crosses a bit but at least he comes out for them - Turley is often rooted on his line.

But as I posted on the dark side, it isn't just about the players. If Tards is known to have weaknesses in his game, we are paying top dollar to an ancient ex-England goalie to coach him to play better. Precisely how is Mr Hodgkinson earning his crust, if Tards has not improved in these aspects?

Turley is clearly the better of the two keepers, but Tards is still better than most in this league in my view.
'Top dollar'? How do you know?

Turley is far superior to Tardif in my view. Possibly I'm 'blinkered' though.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

read the interview in the prog from (er, FGR game?) one of the progs from the first couple of games and there is an interview with Turley where he says how brilliant Hodgkinson is and how he wishes he had worked with someone as good as him when he was 19.