Learnt nothing from last season.

Anything yellow and blue
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotShoobedoo&quot wrote:Right – here’s what I would do:

Firstly – 4-4-2. No more ultra-defensive, no width, hoofing-encouraging tactics.

First team:

Turley
Quinn (until we can get a proper right back in), Foster, Corcoran, Jeannin
Ledgister, Standing, Pettefer, Rose (until we can get a proper left winger in)
Twigg, Duffy. Perhaps with a few crosses coming in, they might look more the part.

Bench:

Tardif, Day, Hutchinson, Trainer, Odubade.

Release Gnohere as we just don’t need so many centre backs, and however good he may have been or may be in the future, he's not good enough now. Pay off Robinson or launch a compensation claim for false pretences, ie. describing himself as a footballer. Use the salary released to sign a proper right back and a pacy left winger.

Frankly, promotion is farthest from my mind at the moment. I just want, for once, to see us play uninhibited, attack-minded, free-flowing football. If we lose having at least given it a go, then fair enough. I am just so completely sick of this negative, pack the defence and lump it up the pitch rubbish that a whole succession of managers - and now I include Smith in this - have believed would get us up the ladder.
That is a rubbish first team you have selected. The midfield would be absolutely hammered physically
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Ascension Ox »

Defence was actually OK. Midfield was the problem. Zilch creativity.
Why does poor old Eddie A get it in the neck. At least he has a bit of pace.

Give Robinson some carrots and ship him off to Blackpool.

Beach.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Re:

Post by Shoobedoo »

&quotIsaac&quot wrote:That would be nice, yes, but I do sense it might be beyond any crop of conference players, regardless of whatever formation they're put in.
I don't know - I thought Halifax played some nice passing football when we played them (particularly in the first game of the season, even though they lost). Kiddy were OK at the Kas last season too. Exeter passed us off the park for long periods of the playoff semi 2nd leg.

Although I concede I should probably have said &quottry&quot to play uninhibited etc. etc.
&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:Why does poor old Eddie A get it in the neck. At least he has a bit of pace.
I thought that one of the jobs of a wingback was to get to the byline and cross. Exactly how many crosses came in from the right last night? He doesn't have the pace to get beyond the last defender and too frequently he tries to cut inside and then shoot with his (weaker) left foot. Courtney Pitt, a player for whom the word mediocre could have been invented, had Eddie in his pocket last night.

I really want to be convinced by Eddie, honestly I do, but at the moment I do not believe he warrants his place in the side.

Absolutely no argument re. Robinson though
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotAscension Ox&quot wrote:Why does poor old Eddie A get it in the neck. At least he has a bit of pace.
Yes, but the bit he has is only the first 75% of the pace needed.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

I thought we were a shocking team of journey men whose whole focus is on not losing a game rather than playing with pace and creativity.

I now realise that Ian Atkins is again our manager wearing a Jim Smith mask.

I really don't know why fans are not panicking about the future of our club.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:
I am, and am starting to have the &quotSmith has lost it&quot conversation with people. This is one step away from the dreadded &quotSmith out&quot conversation. However, 2 games in you have to say that there is a chance for it all to change (which is why it is not yet &quotSmith out&quot in my eyes). But how long do you wait? I'm giving it to the end of the month when i think we'll have only won one more game (Staffs at home).
Ascension Ox
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Ascension Ox »

&quotDLT&quot wrote:I thought we were a shocking team of journey men whose whole focus is on not losing a game rather than playing with pace and creativity.

I now realise that Ian Atkins is again our manager wearing a Jim Smith mask.

Possibly because we have only played 2 games. Knee jerk stuff to 'panic' so soon Mr Le Taxi.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I think a lot rests on Sunday:

If he changes it around and brings in some of the more popular players, we win and he sticks with them after that then great...
But, if he changes it, we win, but he drops them all again
OR he changes it, we dont win, he blames and drops them
OR he sticks with the current lineup, they win (badly) and he praises them OR he sticks with the current lineup, they dont win, but he blames the defeat on the others not forcing their way in
OR he does something else bizarre (like sign another CB) between now and then......
....then much of the resentment from the second half of last season will soon return, only worse as we are not in a top two position where we can convince ourselves we can get up despite his efforts..

It may only be two games this season, but if there appears no improvement on the worst aspects of last season then how long should it be before teh calls begin?

Saying that, it is all completely academic as having started the season, there is no way he will step down or the board ask him to do so before next summer, so I guess we'd better get used to it
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

I was not impressed on Saturday and I am thoroughly peed off after last night’s feeble effort to win a football match.
When I heard the team read out depression set in. Probably already been said but I’ll feel better for repeating it.
No pace up front. I think a Yemi (if fit) or Ledgister (if fit) is needed in the starting line up every time, at this stage of the season. The pitches do not yet resemble ploughed fields.
No Corcoran or Luke F (apart from a few mins at the end). Our centre backs cannot pass a football. Result – ball lumped forward, ball lost, opposition attack again etc etc
No creativity in midfield. Burgess sold. Standing and Danny Rose allegedly the current creative talent. Neither played.
The team Smith selected was one to win a point. Battlers (allegedly) in midfield and at the back. Well that bloody well failed and we were boring to watch.
Last year we played well at Cambridge, who admittedly at the time were going through a terrible spell. Since then we seem to have taken many steps backwards. The team we sent out yesterday did not seem to have a clue how to create and score goals.
Duffy – “Are you ready Baboo? Duffy had a poor game again, apart from the build up play for our goal, where he did play a pivotal role.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

If that's the best team Jim thinks we've got with our current squad, then lord help us.

He has to go. The man that turned us into the greatest footballing side ever, is now the man who is going to kill our club. I can't watch us again while he's in charge, I fear others are now heading the same way.

1) His tactics stink. His motivational skills are worse. How would you feel if you were Corcoran or Foster, and you were left out of the team because the manager wanted to play an old, unfit mate of his agent, who's on a week to week contract?

2) He's clueless. Legister &quotisn't a winger after all&quot according to Smith. I wonder why. Imagine you are said nippy winger, and you discover the club you have signed for doesn't even contemplate playing wingers, what would you say...? Exactly. &quotI'm a forward, gaffer&quot. He's a winger, Jim, play him as one.

Instead...45 minutes into his debut, he's taken off, and then dropped from the next match. Motivation?

3) &quotOur front two were lethargic&quot said Smith last night, &quotso I changed it at half time.&quot By bringing on....Robinson. Brilliant. How would you feel if you were Legister or Yemi? Motivated?

4) He's stuck in some Italia 1990 time warp. Jim, move on. Wing backs don't work. They fucked up last season, don't let them ruin this one now. Opposition teams pin our wingbacks back, turning it into 5-3-2. Wing backs dont create enough goals, nor do they stop enough. THEY DON'T WORK!

----

How many consecutive defeats are were from him taking the walk? 3? 4? I found myself conteplating this on the way home yesterday, trying to work out whether it might not be the worst thing to happen. We're not going up with Smith in charge. A few early defeats might hasten his exit, and might give us a chance to get out of this awful league.

Sorry Jim, your time is up. Go before it gets nasty.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Why is it every manager we get seems to want to play wing-backs? 4-4-2 is what most clubs play, isn't it, yet as soon as a manager gets the Oxford job he starts thinking, &quotah yes, 5 at the back, let's try that...&quot
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

[quote=&quotBaboo&quot]
Duffy – “Are you ready Baboo? Duffy had a poor game again, apart from the build up play for our goal, where he did play a pivotal role.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotGodalmingYellow
Sorry Baboo, it was supposed to make you smile. I agree, Duffer is light years ahead of Marv.[/quote]

OK - I'll try to smile. But after that crap yesterday it is very hard to.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mooro »

&quotJimski&quot wrote:Why is it every manager we get seems to want to play wing-backs? 4-4-2 is what most clubs play, isn't it, yet as soon as a manager gets the Oxford job he starts thinking, &quotah yes, 5 at the back, let's try that...&quot
Presumably because when he takes over he inherits 74 centrebacks, two midfielders and a squad of players with an aversion to touchlines...
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Re:

Post by Shoobedoo »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:Presumably because when he takes over he inherits 74 centrebacks, two midfielders and a squad of players with an aversion to touchlines...
Well the next one certainly will ... maybe a few more midfielders, everything else rings true though.