Anyone happy with the performance?

Anything yellow and blue
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

A patchy performance but not surprising with so many debutants on the pitch. During the better periods of play in the first half I did think the wing back system was played properly for the the first time ever by an Oxford United team, with the wing backs on both sides willing and able to get forward and put in some crosses. Jeannin in particular was much quieter in the second half and we relied more on the long ball from the back with predicatable results.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: Anyone happy with the performance?

Post by Baboo »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotBaboo&quot wrote: I'm not anti-Duffy - what possible reason could I have to be anti-Duffy? I'm not anti any Oxford player. But I would much rather he played well and scored loads of goals, because then we would win more games. We obviously see a different player, and given the reaction of 90% others that I talk to, and seemingly a large proprtion of the crowd, I don't think I'm alone in my view of his lack of contribution.

As for the game, I counted 5 times he tried to feign a foul for a free kick, I can remember only one of his headers going anywhere near an Oxford player, and as for nearly scoring, I don't think so. In any event nearly scoring isn't much use.

I didn't see him come back to help defend once, except at corners. Possibly he completed 4 or 5 short passes in the entire time he was on. Wow!

Yes I remember him jogging over to the wing to close down. No hint of a sprint. The effort was minimal.

Oh and where was our esteemed predator when the ball rebounded off the FGR keeper in each half? Sorry, I forgot he needs 10 minutes notice to get moving.
It is obvious to me now that we were at different games or that one of us has got Duffy confused with someone else.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yemi didn't look match-fit, but surely he had more than just the blazed-over chance? He had a decent shot saved by their keeper too, didn't he? Or am I mis-remembering (quite possible)?

My man of the match would have been Trainer. Very impressed by him - excellent in the air, where he won headers and directed them too. Better than Hutchinson, I reckon, who with a less lenient ref would have been booked at least once for some crunching tackles.