"My Football Club"

Anything yellow and blue
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

"My Football Club"

Post by Boogie »

This looks to have some legs.

But how would you feel if the club you supported was taken over by folks with no previous connection who then voted when you could not?

http&#58//news&#46bbc&#46co&#46uk/sport ... 775&#46stm
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

It's an awful idea. If it were the club I supported, I'd feel the same way as I would if the club were taken over by any owner who saw the club as his/her plaything.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

I find it bizarre that someone would donate money to a cause they might not support.

And they've got 2 Hope's of buying Leeds for that sort of money, Bob and No.
SmileyMan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by SmileyMan »

Very weird. If the team you've bought ends up playing the team you love, you can vote to drop their best player? Although, of course, you're unlikely to be in the majority.

Or you could vote to sell really good players to Oxford for a quid!

I'm quite tempted, because it could be a laugh. Also, OUFC are number 12 on their target list - I don't think £1.35m would be enough, would it? Accrington or Cambridge looks most likely. Leeds - no chance. Ken has that sort of money in his motor's ashtray.
Boogie
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Boogie »

11th last time I looked!
Mark G
Puberty

Post by Mark G »

According to their press release, a L2 team and 2 Conference teams have approached them showing interest in selling to them.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

There is a body of support growing for Crawley, which if the case would mean the chance to take the Majeed brothers out of football and the satisfaction in sacking Steve Evans and Paul Raynor which to me is easily worth £35 of anyones money!!

It will be interesting to see how this pans out longer term as I would suspect many of those signing up (particularly the younger ones) will get bored with it quite soon when they realise that i) one vote in 50,000 means very little, ii) there is a vast gulf between what you want to happen and what actually can or will.

The question then is whether there will be more waiting in the wings and also whether there will be a greater take up among fans of the club in question.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotMooro&quot wrote:There is a body of support growing for Crawley, which if the case would mean the chance to take the Majeed brothers out of football and the satisfaction in sacking Steve Evans and Paul Raynor which to me is easily worth £35 of anyones money!!

It will be interesting to see how this pans out longer term as I would suspect many of those signing up (particularly the younger ones) will get bored with it quite soon when they realise that i) one vote in 50,000 means very little, ii) there is a vast gulf between what you want to happen and what actually can or will.

The question then is whether there will be more waiting in the wings and also whether there will be a greater take up among fans of the club in question.
I can't see the Majeeds agreeing to sell. They've had good offers from 2 other parties during their most difficult period and both have been shunned.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

And Crawley are reported to have paid off the CVA

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 931377.stm
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Myles Francis »

Crawley have said that they have paid the money to the administrators to finalise the CVA. No confirmation, as yet, that it has actually been finalised.

Bit of a shame really as Azbo Majeed's flat was to be auctioned next month to raise the outstanding funds. Odd that they suddenly appeared from elsewhere when the Conference started getting heavy with them.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

I would have thought the mostly likely clubs to be bought under this &quotscheme&quot would be Bury, or a mid table Conference team like Woking, whose owner is frequently moaning about not being able to sustain the costs of running the club.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

How many of these 50,000 are actually going to pony up the thirty-five nicker, do you reckon?
entirely disenchanted
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:How many of these 50,000 are actually going to pony up the thirty-five nicker, do you reckon?
Considerably less than put their names forward.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

I suspect many will pay up for the first year, but then drop out after that when they realise they are not going to be able to vote on everything and even when they do get a vote only being 1 in 50,000 means they wont actually get much of a say.

For me the second year will be significant, as there will be a lot of non-renewals I suspect and unless the local supporters can be encouraged to come on board to replace them, then they might find they do not have the funding to sustain their involvement.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

I doubt it'll get that far. People aren't going to shell out until they know what club they're taking over but they can't take over a club until they've got the money.
entirely disenchanted