Setanta Games

Anything yellow and blue
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yep, I was gonna go to Burton, but can't any more with the fixture change. If it's gonna be like this next season again, I doubt I'll bother with a season ticket. If it becomes impossible to plan when to go to games (well in advance), then I'm gonna end up missing more than makes a ST worthwhile.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Personally I'm not that miffed by all this. The moving of most of the games doesn't make much difference to me (although I agree that changing the timing of the Stevenage game is a bind, but mainly cos it means having to spend the day with my kids, instead of spending the day avoiding them!). The moving of the Cambridge game is actually beneficial for me, cos I'd have missed it on the original date due to being on hols, but now it's been shifted I'll be able to watch it on the box. The worst one is the Rushden game - I may have gone to see it on the original date, but I won't bother on the Thursday. Still, I consider that a few quid saved, and Rushden are a horrible team so I don't really begrudge not giving them my money.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I emailed Mr Moules to complain about the fixture chaos and to enquire what the financial deal was, whether there was any prospect of the League stopping the tail from wagging the dog, and whether they had anything to hide because they may have undersold the product compared to the disruption being caused. Infairness he replied the next day.

He said &quotWe are meeting all Member Clubs this week (25 &amp 26 July) and all
Managers next week (30 &amp 31 July) regarding Television and Fixtures we
are therefore making no public comments until we have met with our
Clubs.

We having nothing to hide and all Club Chairman have been informed of the financial TV arrangements for some weeks.

John Moules&quot

I didn't tell him which club I support. If you would like to ask him any questions he is on john@footballconference.co.uk
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

I think it is an excellent idea to email, but also to NOT state which club you support. That shouldn't be the issue. The issue should be that they are basically driving the highest non-league division into a joke Sunday league that will pass everyone else by as it is not being played at the same time as the more &quotserious&quot football league games.

The idea that sky shows games on Sunday's (or that it does not show them at 3pm on Saturday's) is because it then doesn't disrupt the attendances at games on Saturday games. Who will want to go and watch non-league football on a sunday when they can stay at home at watch Man Utd Vs Chelsea on sky?!
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:The issue should be that they are basically driving the highest non-league division into a joke Sunday league that will pass everyone else by as it is not being played at the same time as the more &quotserious&quot football league games.
This league is already a joke, imo, for not having insisted that the word 'Conference' remain in the title during sponsirship negotiations, as that is the one word by which everyone knows Division 5. If it wants to rebrand, then it should be thinking in terms of forging closer links with the football league, so that the idea of a real Division 5 is embedded in peoples' minds.

As to the TV disruption, I'm in two minds. If we insist that all games kick off at 3pm on a Saturday, then that means no TV exposure at all. And now that I find myself ensconsed in Cornwall and working every Saturday afternoon, I'm not too disappointed at the prospect of a few games at other times that I may be able to watch live on my computer.

But I do think the level of fixture rejigging is a bit ridiculous. And, from a personal point of view, there are a couple of Tuesday night games which I could have attended which I now can't since they've been moved to Thursdays.

The upshot is that the sooner we get back into the real football world the better. But I fear that if it doesn't happen this year, then it might not for some time to come...
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

As another who generally cannot get to Saturday games, then the prospect of having half a dozen shown on th box has been sufficiently appealing for me to sign up, let alone getting a decent slab of Premier games and a efw other leagues as well.

Already I've watched St Pats vrs Shamrock in the Eircom league and a manic Aussie Rules game which were both very entertaining (the former mainly because it was of a quality little better than ours and completely end to end - it did actually make me start thinking how a combined Eircom/Conference cup would pan out....probably more interesting than the Shield will be).

In terms of scheduling, while of course Thursday is a very odd night, I think with a bit more forethought and consistency in the selection of games would have avoided many of the problems. Part of the problem appears to be the random nature of where games are moved from.

I cannot help thinkign we'll miss all of the coverage when we get promoted (given how few Div 2 or even 1 games are shown).
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Interestingly, my mate who lives next door to me is a huge Derby fan. He says that they're only on telly (bar MotD) once before Xmas, and couldn't believe that we have 6 live games before Xmas.

You have to admit, the coverage is good. But what will the quality of the Histon game be like, when both teams have played on the Sat before and the Tues before. Not great, I would think.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotMooro&quot wrote: I cannot help thinkign we'll miss all of the coverage when we get promoted (given how few Div 2 or even 1 games are shown).
Good. 3 o'clock Saturday, as it should be.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:I cannot help thinkign we'll miss all of the coverage when we get promoted (given how few Div 2 or even 1 games are shown).
I admire your optimism but shouldn't that be IF we get promoted? :)
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Farsley Celtic has now been moved to the Sunday.

As was reported in the article referred to a few posts ago, the original fixture list is of no use other than bog paper.
DLT
Mid-life Crisis

Post by DLT »

Fantastic this Setanta stuff.

I personally can never bear to watch us play live on TV and certainly not repeating games I saw in person.

But.... I have been trying to justify subscribing to Racing UK for ages and now I have my excuse.

What a plus.

And if we are to appear live on TV I would prefer it was the most obscure, least watched channel. I get fed up walking into the office the day after a live match and seeing everyone shaking their heads and saying 'you pay to watch that crap'.

To me, midweek games don't matter that much whether they are Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

Sunday games are a pain(mainly because I won't know what to do on a Sturday) but a 3.00 kick off is less hassle than other daft times.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I’ve just signed up to Setanta and it cost me £30 for a ‘connection fee’, this included us one month in advance, plus my monthly subscription. Included for free is a card to slot into my cheap Freeview box and a quoted time of 2-5 days to delivery and therefore initiate this pay-for-football contract.

I don’t think I would have taken up this offer last season, and I’ve never subscribed to anything outside of my BBC TV licence other than Yellow World, but this season is different as I’ve already had a flavour during last season of the grounds that we will visit and the teams that we will play and the temptation to stay in the warm and flick on the telly on some occasions is now simply overriding.

And what bollocks this all is. I thought that dropping into non-league would mean less of this messing around of fixtures, not substantially more.

This is going to hit our home gates and away support..
Last edited by Snake on Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Best deal for a crappy box with a card slot || connection:
[url]http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Gadgets/ ... ctId=27659[/url]
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSnake&quot wrote:This is going to hit our home gates and away support..
Quite.

Fortunately, we've only had one home game mvoed so far. But I think the pattern will be to move many of our away games, because of the perception of big bad club comes to plucky little club.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

I watched (some of) the first ever Setanta Division Five game tonight, and the TV coverage seemed ok. I’ve never had Sky or cable at home so I’m happy to be corrected by others on here who are aficionados of this kind of stuff but I must admit that I particularly liked the filming of the dressing room, the on-the-pitch interviews, and the blonde dolly bird presenter (I forget her name) who was doing the pre-match fronting. Well, seeing Mansell, Zebroski, Ashton, Hargreaves and Sills was worth tuning into for a few minutes.

On a personal note I’m now really looking forward to Thursday night and settling down in front of the telly after a hard slog at work, but I think this Setanta stuff is going to hit our away support, and in turn our chances of getting out of the Premier and back into the sanity/obscurity of the lowest division of the Football League.

Does anyone know how much money we get out of this TV deal?