Pre-season friendlies

Anything yellow and blue
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Pre-season friendlies

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Good to see the club have dropped the prices for these games to a sensible level.

The opposition are fairly uninspiring as a supporter, so that perhaps explains the price reduction.

I might actually go to the games now, whereas previously I was thinking of missing them out.

Although the pre-season home games are good social events, seeing friends not seen for a while, I tend to like the away ones even more.
Last edited by GodalmingYellow on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Yeah I only really bother with the away ones - far more fun.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

Full list here.

I'll be going to all the July ones, but then going on holiday so I'll miss the rest (and the first two real games, unfortunately. Why do the schools break up so late?)
SteMerritt
Puberty

Post by SteMerritt »

I haven't been to a home pre-season friendly for years, and doubt I will this time either. Will go to the Oxford City game - hopefully it won't be washed out this year - but apart from that I won't bother.

Also missing the first game of the season due to holiday dictated by the school break. Bloody kids.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:I haven't been to a home pre-season friendly for years, and doubt I will this time either. Will go to the Oxford City game - hopefully it won't be washed out this year - but apart from that I won't bother.

Also missing the first game of the season due to holiday dictated by the school break. Bloody kids.
I'll miss a couple of early league games as well, due to holidays - bloody local education authorities!

You know the Oxford City game will involve significant quantities of rain, it always does. Its the law.
A-Ro
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by A-Ro »

&quotboris&quot wrote:Full list here.

I'll be going to all the July ones, but then going on holiday so I'll miss the rest (and the first two real games, unfortunately. Why do the schools break up so late?)
Are we really playing Didcot and Kidlington on the same day?
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotA-Ro&quot wrote:
&quotboris&quot wrote:Full list here.
Are we really playing Didcot and Kidlington on the same day?
According to the Kidlington website, it's actually an Oxford United XI (with a 2.00 kick off). Mind you, with our current squad size I think we'll struggle to find eleven players who won't be needed at Didcot.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:Good to see the club have dropped the prices for these games to a sensible level.

The opposition are fairly uninspiring as a supporter, so that perhaps explains the price reduction.

I might actually go to the games now, whereas previously I was thinking of missing them out.

Although the pre-season home games are good social events, seeing friends not seen for a while, I tend to like the away ones even more.
Friendlies serve their purpose for player match fitness but are a complete non-event for the supporter. In my view.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

What do you mean, any new striker that doesn't score a hat-trick is clearly a waste of money and if any lower league opposition score against us, then the entire defence is likewise.....
Any wins are of course are deemed worthless in terms of judging players.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Post by Hog »

I agree with ResOx: the only reason I go to pre-season friendlies is if they're away, fairly convenient to get to (from Hampshire), and because it gives me the chance to gossip with people i haven't seen for weeks.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re: Pre-season friendlies

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotResurrection Ox
Friendlies serve their purpose for player match fitness but are a complete non-event for the supporter. In my view.[/quote]

Fully agree.
Sideshow Rob
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Sideshow Rob »

Friendlies are important in so much as they make the close season seem a little shorter and they do give us impatiant ones a chance to see new signings before the real season starts. I am quite looking forward to seeing Twiggy, Trainer, Jeannin and Ledgister at Didcot but am not too bothered that my holiday will prevent me from seeing all the others bar Birmingham.