Setanta Shield

Anything yellow and blue
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Setanta Shield

Post by Mooro »

http://www.thisisunited.com/news/item.asp?id=2358

So, there'll be a potential extra 5 games to fit in on top of the current list, but at least there'll be a whole extra week to do it! Oh, and a rule to ensure teams play a full strength side (by having to have a minimum number of players from the previous Saturday).

This attitude is very worrying, as they are basically consigning the already established FA Trophy to become an even lower priority for many clubs, just to get their own name on a competition. There appears to be no benefit to them in this extra tournament, that could not have remained valid by them just sponsoring the FA Trophy instead.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Perhaps this is a tournament that needs to be boycotted.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re: Setanta Shield

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:http://www.thisisunited.com/news/item.asp?id=2358

So, there'll be a potential extra 5 games to fit in on top of the current list, but at least there'll be a whole extra week to do it! Oh, and a rule to ensure teams play a full strength side (by having to have a minimum number of players from the previous Saturday).

This attitude is very worrying, as they are basically consigning the already established FA Trophy to become an even lower priority for many clubs, just to get their own name on a competition. There appears to be no benefit to them in this extra tournament, that could not have remained valid by them just sponsoring the FA Trophy instead.
Telly rules the roost Mooro. Even in the non league now. Spurious as this competition may appear I actually think that additional televising of games by Setanta will boost interest in non league. Why? Because the Bluesquare and the Football League offer something that the Prem does not have. Competitive games and uncertainty. And a certian amount of novelty as well.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Perhaps this is a tournament that needs to be boycotted.
You'll be there for that vital fourth round replay on a freezing February evening though. We'll celebrate together as Duffy notches his second goal of the season from the penalty spot to put away the spirited opponents from Lewes. I can hardly wait.
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Perhaps this is a tournament that needs to be boycotted.
by the fans or by the club?

The fans will almost certainly boycott it anyway, in much the same way that they boycotted the FA Trophy last season (ie only the diehards like you and me will bother to attend, at least unless we reach the final). I'm certain that we'll see a record low attendance for a competitive game at the Kas for this one (assuming we're not drawn away and lose to the likes of Barrow, or whoever).

The club will almost certainly be contractually obliged to take part, and as you've seen they've also introduced the rule whereby most of the squad has to have appeared in the previous first-team game too, so they can't be accused of not taking it seriously.
Baboo Junior
Puberty

Post by Baboo Junior »

What if you pick up loads of injuries in one match and can't field the required number of the first team in the Shield? Are you disquaified? If so that might be what to do.
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

In the Setanta Shield Blue Square North and South sides will face each other until 8 teams are left. they will then join the 24 blue square national sides for the final stages of the competition. Setanta have pledged to screen 9 of the matches live.
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Post by Baboo »

Setanta bloody Shield. I hate them already.

If there had been a desire to slot in an extra comp I would have liked to have seen something a little different - like playing in a cup with lower div Scottish teams. (If allowed under UEFA rules ... there used to be the Anglo Italian so I assume it would be ok). That would really sort out the true supporters on a Tuesday night in December - Fort William away. I'd be there.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

The train journey to Mallaig is by all accounts fantastic.
entirely disenchanted
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

&quotPeña Oxford United&quot wrote:The train journey to Mallaig is by all accounts fantastic.
Bring it on.

As long as the team play on grass.
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Setanta bloody Shield. I hate them already.

If there had been a desire to slot in an extra comp I would have liked to have seen something a little different - like playing in a cup with lower div Scottish teams. (If allowed under UEFA rules ... there used to be the Anglo Italian so I assume it would be ok). That would really sort out the true supporters on a Tuesday night in December - Fort William away. I'd be there.
And there was the Texaco Cup in the 70's which involved English and Scots teams. I think we may have played in that but can't remember for sure. Boris will know. Can't see the point of travelling all that way for some tinpot tinpottedness though.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

There was briefly a Conference Cup a few years ago. I think it was sponsored by GLS. Woking won it in 2005 - the competition was then scrapped when the conference national increased to 24 teams.

Most Leagues do have a cup of some kind. I quite enjoy cup games, so I'm not complaining.
Matt D
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by Matt D »

&quotBaboo&quot wrote:Fort William away. I'd be there.
i wouldn't.

i'm cycling from land's end to john o'groats this summer, one of the joys of which will be seeing places i have never seen, and probably never will see again. of course, we'll also go through a number of places i do know, some of which i'm looking forward to more than others. but there's only one place i have complained bitterly about us having to not only pass through, but also stay in: fort william. what a depressing place.
Pe├▒a Oxford United
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by Pe├▒a Oxford United »

My camera broke at John O'Groat's.

I went there in the course of a visit to Wick when I went for a job interview there.
entirely disenchanted
boris
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by boris »

&quotHog&quot wrote: And there was the Texaco Cup in the 70's which involved English and Scots teams. I think we may have played in that but can't remember for sure.
Nope. The only tinpottery we were involved in from that era was the Anglo-Italian Cup in 1972/73. We also missed out on the Watney Cup, which is obviously a great shame.