Zebroski final piece of striking Jigsaw

Anything yellow and blue
Baboo
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Baboo »

[quote=&quotSnake
As for how many times he’s started on the bench, then I don’t know (though a site like Soccerbase would have that info if you’re interested). Neither do I know how many times that Yemi started on the bench this season, but I’m equally sure that can be found out just as easily.

I’m trying to be objective in this mini-debate, but maybe I’m not succeeding. I really AM striving to cut out of my mind that awful moment when Duffy was bearing down on the Exeter keeper with only him to beat in front of the London Road End. And hey, who else thought that was the moment when “this is it - surely, we’re going to Wembley here
Snake
Grumpy old git

Post by Snake »

“It seems that the Duffy debate will continue as long as he remains at the club. Whether we like it or not he is the best goal scorer we have at the club at present &amp I wouldn’t want to see him go until we get someone better in.
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re:

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote: It’s 5 goals from open play for Duffy in the last 29 games
The last time I looked, Penalties scored actually counted in the goals for column of the table, so why exclude them? As we are well aware, not everyone can score a penalty.

How many of the last 29 games did he start from the bench?
Because penalties are not a sign of a strikers contribution to the team, or a sign of a striker's ability to complete the moves created, which are the two main aspects of a striker's role in the team. Several players could have scored those penalties just as easily.

We've done this one before, once or twice... :mrgreen:
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

In scoring goals from open play, I doubt there is much between Yemi and Duffer. If anything, I imagaine Yemi scored more, and he certainly played less games as a striker than Duffer. Having said that, I would rely more on Duffer's finishing more than Yemi's.

Yemi is certanly a bette rplayer than Duffer, but even if Yemi scored more from open play, I think he is best for us as a right winger with Anaclet behind, in a 4-4-2. For that reason I'd rather have them both playing with Zebra up front as the second striker.

We have to remember also that Duffer is still quite young and perhaps becuase of previous poor management, hasn't yet learned to deal with central defenders tricks. Hopefully that will come under Patto.

If we could get a new striker in who could be guaranteed to score more goals and wasn't quite as lazy as Duffer, then I wouldn't mind losing Duffer, but otherwise, better the devil you know.

I completely agree that Robinson has a lot to prove this season, otherwise he will go down in the annuls of history as Bus MkII.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotSteMerritt&quot wrote:
&quotSnake&quot wrote: It’s 5 goals from open play for Duffy in the last 29 games
The last time I looked, Penalties scored actually counted in the goals for column of the table, so why exclude them? As we are well aware, not everyone can score a penalty.

How many of the last 29 games did he start from the bench?
Because penalties are not a sign of a strikers contribution to the team, or a sign of a striker's ability to complete the moves created, which are the two main aspects of a striker's role in the team. Several players could have scored those penalties just as easily.

We've done this one before, once or twice... :mrgreen:
Yeah we have done this one before!

How many of the penalties has Duffy himself actually won though? I can think of a few, so doesn't that sort of negate your 'complete the moves' argument, because without the fouls he might well have done just that. And of course, saying several players could have scored just as easily is not strictly true is it, or we would have won that sodding penalty shoot-out.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:In scoring goals from open play, I doubt there is much between Yemi and Duffer. If anything, I imagaine Yemi scored more, and he certainly played less games as a striker than Duffer. Having said that, I would rely more on Duffer's finishing more than Yemi's.

Yemi is certanly a bette rplayer than Duffer, but even if Yemi scored more from open play, I think he is best for us as a right winger with Anaclet behind, in a 4-4-2. For that reason I'd rather have them both playing with Zebra up front as the second striker.

We have to remember also that Duffer is still quite young and perhaps becuase of previous poor management, hasn't yet learned to deal with central defenders tricks. Hopefully that will come under Patto.

If we could get a new striker in who could be guaranteed to score more goals and wasn't quite as lazy as Duffer, then I wouldn't mind losing Duffer, but otherwise, better the devil you know.

I completely agree that Robinson has a lot to prove this season, otherwise he will go down in the annuls of history as Bus MkII.

Yemi would be wasted on the wing. Play him centrally. As I've said already, I reckon Duffy will go before the start of the season.
Myles Francis
Mid-life Crisis

Re:

Post by Myles Francis »

&quotResurrection Ox&quot wrote:Yemi would be wasted on the wing. Play him centrally. As I've said already, I reckon Duffy will go before the start of the season.
Agree with that. Yemi does scare the pants off the back line when running from deep/wide, but to stick him out on the wing will put a great burden on him to deliver the ball into the box for others - and I'm not sure he's up to that. Better to play him in the middle and use his pace there (a bit like Michael Owen in his pomp). That gives the back line the choice of sitting back so he hasn't got as much room to run into (thereby allowing our midfield to push further forward), or pushing up and running the risk of the ball over the top for Yemi to run onto.
boris
Grumpy old git

Post by boris »

If I may be a bit controversial for a mo, I actually reckon Marv gets a bit of a raw deal from the fans. Okay, he's no Billy Hamilton (who is, at this level?) but he isn't as bad a striker as a lot of people make out. He is quicker and more mobile than Duffy, and his strike rate per game isn't that awful. In addition he won us two or three penalties and his link-up play with his colleagues wasn't that bad. I reckon he'll be better next season, when he's had a proper pre-season's preparation, and I wouldn't be in despair if he was a regular back-up striker.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Mally »

&quotboris&quot wrote:If I may be a bit controversial for a mo, I actually reckon Marv gets a bit of a raw deal from the fans. Okay, he's no Billy Hamilton (who is, at this level?) but he isn't as bad a striker as a lot of people make out. He is quicker and more mobile than Duffy, and his strike rate per game isn't that awful. In addition he won us two or three penalties and his link-up play with his colleagues wasn't that bad. I reckon he'll be better next season, when he's had a proper pre-season's preparation, and I wouldn't be in despair if he was a regular back-up striker.
I'm with boris on this. At this lowly level the difference between teams is often work rate rather than pure ability and skill. Yemi, Marv and Zebroski (if he signs) all score above Duffer when it comes to effort.

I'd be far happier to have a creative skillful player in midfield who can pick the right passes and through balls for fast or determined strikers to get on the end of.
SteMerritt
Puberty

Re:

Post by SteMerritt »

&quotboris&quot wrote:If I may be a bit controversial for a mo, I actually reckon Marv gets a bit of a raw deal from the fans. Okay, he's no Billy Hamilton (who is, at this level?) but he isn't as bad a striker as a lot of people make out. He is quicker and more mobile than Duffy, and his strike rate per game isn't that awful. In addition he won us two or three penalties and his link-up play with his colleagues wasn't that bad. I reckon he'll be better next season, when he's had a proper pre-season's preparation, and I wouldn't be in despair if he was a regular back-up striker.
Will be interesting to see how he does if we ever get a winger (or 2) who can put some decent balls in the box.
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Re:

Post by Resurrection Ox »

Agreed.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

I'm led to believe that Marv has been told he has to move to the Oxford area if he is to remain at the club.

Reading between the lines, I would suggest that this is a &quotgo find yourself a northern club, you are free to leave&quot invitation from Oxford.

I don't rate him much, but I'd imagine his goals per game ratio is ok.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

Well, based on what I've seen, I think he's an even lower division Steve Anthrobus. But boris may be right that he needs a proper pre-season to make him play a bit better. I hope so anyway. I keep thinking of that game at Northwich where he (and the team) was absolutely hopeless, until he was replaced by Zebroski at half time, at which point we started to play a hell of a lot better, and actually created some chances. I realise this was just the one game, but it kinda summed up my impression of Marv.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Re:

Post by Shoobedoo »

&quotMally&quot wrote:I'd be far happier to have a creative skillful player in midfield who can pick the right passes and through balls for fast or determined strikers to get on the end of.
Yes completely agree Mally. We need to be creating more chances generally. I still think we have a player of sufficient skill/creativity in Burgess and it's a mistake to be offloading him I'm certain his best position would be behind the front two, not wide on the left - and having him play in the middle would force him to get involved more.

I'm also going to highlight our need for some decent wingers again. Sorry if I sound like a stuck record. :oops:

Particularly Duffy and Robinson are the sort of strikers who would thrive on decent crosses into the box.
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Re:

Post by recordmeister »

&quotMally&quot wrote:
I'm with boris on this. At this lowly level the difference between teams is often work rate rather than pure ability and skill. Yemi, Marv and Zebroski (if he signs) all score above Duffer when it comes to effort.

I'd be far happier to have a creative skillful player in midfield who can pick the right passes and through balls for fast or determined strikers to get on the end of.
Isn't that what the burge did, and then tems worked that out, came to our ground and just shut him out of the game.