which of these is the most depressing?

Anything yellow and blue

Which of these makes the most depressing reading?

Droylesden
20%
Ebbsfleet United
50%
Farsley Celtic
20%
Histon United
10%

Total votes: 10

recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

which of these is the most depressing?

Post by recordmeister »

My vote goes to Ebbsfleet. I have honestly never heard of the place before today. However, it was run close by Farsley Celtic who have the most non-league sounding name I have ever heard!
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

It's just Histon FC btw, not Histon United. Still find it difficult to believe they're in step 1 of non-league, but I'm dead pleased for them.
neilw
Puberty

Post by neilw »

Four years ago, Farsley Celtic, who I believe are equidistant from Leeds and Bradford were pulling in attendances of 90 (ninety). Who could have believed that in such a short space of time a pub team, from Pudsey, could possibly be just one league below Bradford and two behind Leeds.

D'you think it's only right that Leeds should reconsider who their true bitter rivals really are?

It's little stories like these and Yeovil's recent rise that make football so very special. It's just a shame that the media actually believe football is all about four teams and one league.
Mally
Grumpy old git

Post by Mally »

Ebbsfleet only because we've been there before. The other 3 are all new experiences for us next season along with Salisbury. One of the redeeming features of being banished to football's nether regions is the chance to visit new places and new grounds where on the whole there is a friendly reception by clubs and fans who are happy to &quotentertain&quot a large away support.

Actually the most depressing name in the Conference next season is Oxford United.
Shoobedoo
Puberty

Re:

Post by Shoobedoo »

&quotneilw&quot wrote:D'you think it's only right that Leeds should reconsider who their true bitter rivals really are?
That would mean we would have to do the same. Salisbury City? Forest Green? Doesn't bear thinking about, does it? :(
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Re: which of these is the most depressing?

Post by GodalmingYellow »

&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:My vote goes to Ebbsfleet. I have honestly never heard of the place before today. However, it was run close by Farsley Celtic who have the most non-league sounding name I have ever heard!
Its only the new name for Gravesend &amp Northfleet
GodalmingYellow
Senile

Post by GodalmingYellow »

Farsley.

A long way to go for a shit ground and likely bad result.
Kernow Yellow
Grumpy old git

Post by Kernow Yellow »

&quotGodalmingYellow&quot wrote:
&quotrecordmeister&quot wrote:My vote goes to Ebbsfleet. I have honestly never heard of the place before today. However, it was run close by Farsley Celtic who have the most non-league sounding name I have ever heard!
I'm glad you pointed that out. I was wondering who this Ebbsfleet United were, and how come they were playing in the Conference without having won any kind of promotion to it.
Mooro
Grumpy old git

Post by Mooro »

Exactly the reason I have chosen them - what is the point of renaming themselves from somewhere people might actually of heard of to somewhere no-one has heard of.
THere's a lot of name changing going on this summer in non-league - partly forced by some anal FA ruling, but this one seems to be completely unnecessary....

Can't pretend I'm going to go to any of the others listed but I am more than happy to have them in our league...
Ancient Colin
Grumpy old git

Post by Ancient Colin »

A now Manchester dwelling friend (who came with me to the Stafford Rangers away game this year) mailed to me today &quotPS The Butchers Arms (Droylsden) is quite like Stafford's ground, though not so spacious ...&quot Oh joy unconfined.
Jimski
Mid-life Crisis

Post by Jimski »

THere's a lot of name changing going on this summer in non-league
Out of interest, which other ones do you know of?
recordmeister
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by recordmeister »

Yup- realsied that a fw hours ago. Still sounds bloody awful, however!
Resurrection Ox
Puberty

Post by Resurrection Ox »

&quotMooro&quot wrote:
Exactly the reason I have chosen them - what is the point of renaming themselves from somewhere people might actually of heard of to somewhere no-one has heard of.
THere's a lot of name changing going on this summer in non-league - partly forced by some anal FA ruling, but this one seems to be completely unnecessary....

Can't pretend I'm going to go to any of the others listed but I am more than happy to have them in our league...
Er I don't think the name change is necessarily 'unnecessary'.

There's going to be new town built in the Gravesend area called Ebbsfleet.

No doubt a kind of Milton Keynes 21st Century style where nurses, teachers and essential workers serving the London toffs can live. Short term the name change is ridiculous. Medium term it makes sense.
YF Dan
Middle-Aged Spread

Post by YF Dan »

Dennis Pennis alert:

Isn't Charlton near Histon?
Hog
Grumpy old git

Re:

Post by Hog »

&quotJimski&quot wrote:
THere's a lot of name changing going on this summer in non-league
Out of interest, which other ones do you know of?
Hayes and Yeading are joining forces to become, yep, you guessed it, Hayes and Yeading Fc (which means Hayes won't now be relegated), and Brook House (Oxford City's division) are changing to AFC Hayes! Also in City's division Lymington and New Milton FC are becoming New Milton Town. And Farnborough are dropping Town from their title (and two divisions).

Oh, and Ex-Football League Oxford United are becoming Oxford United.

There's probably more ...